Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Get RoadRunner SMTP For Email Working

If you are having problem getting the smtp-server.xx.rr.com to work with your RoadRunner email, it is due to the authentication system at TimeWarner.

Here is what worked on my iPhone 3GS (replace "xx" with your RR location)

go to > Settings > Mail...

go to > Add Account...

Create your account using only the first part of your email for POP (if it's "name@xx.rr.com" just use "name")

Enter your password for POP

Hit "Save"

You will get an error that says something like "smtp-server.xx.rr.com does not allow authentication - change your settings". Hit "ok"

Go down and delete your username (your rr.com email address) and then delete the password. Hit "save"

You will get an error that says something like "smtp-server.xx.rr.com does not work with SSL would you like to try and set it up without using it?" Hit "Ok"

It should work.

Message was edited by: albonya

Alienware, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 2, 2009 7:35 PM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2009 10:43 PM in response to hughjardon

Roadrunner blocks SMTP unless it's sent from within their network. First thing you need to do is go to Settings, Mail (Contacts, Calendars), Your RR Account (whatever you named it), Account Info, Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), and set up the Primary Server by "Add Server...".

Put in the Host Name (I think you've got it right), User name (make sure you user upper/lower case as appropriate), Password, Use SSL, Authentication Password, Server Port 465 or 587 (see which one works best for you).

You might want to check the settings for the SMTP server on your home mail program, just to make sure everything is right. But you need to open a server port to use Time Warner's SMTP.

I hope this helps.

How To Get RoadRunner SMTP For Email Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.