7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 11:43 AM by TK4|2|1
dcompiled Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
After installing the latest "update" my phone I was greeted with an error message. Now the phone shows a connect to iTunes icon but no matter what I try, the phone will no appear in iTunes.

3.0.1 = Epic Fail.

Self-Built, Windows Vista
  • 1. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    Tamara Level 6 Level 6 (13,730 points)
    3.0.1 - epic success for both our phones.

Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

Power off the device (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPhone to turn off.

Press and hold the Home button while reconnecting the USB cable to iPhone. When you reconnect the USB to iPhone, the device should then power on.

Continue holding the Home button while iPhone starts up. While starting up, you will see the Apple logo.

When you see "Connect to iTunes" on the screen, you can release the Home button and iTunes will display the recovery mode message.

At this point, you should be able to restore your phone.
  • 2. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    EricandJulie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yeah, can't do that when you can't even get a screen with the red slider.
  • 3. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    Rae Jay Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Then you can do a hard reset. Hold down the sleep and wake buttons until the apple logo shows up. I'm no expert. I figured that I'd add this just in case. I don't know if you can get it in recovery mode that way, because I've never had a problem since upgrading to 3.0.1.
  • 4. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    Monty1945 Level 3 Level 3 (690 points)
    Greetings,

Our iPhones patched perfectly. Did you wait until the process was complete before you played with it. That's probably the single biggest reason for failures - impatience.

Try what the other person suggested and do a hard reset. The next choice is to take it in to an Apple Store, and have them try to bring it back. If you have never been to an Apple Store, you're in for a treat as they are a lot of fun to visit.

The closest one to me is only a hundred miles away, and I go every three or four months just for grins. It's good to get out of town, now and then.

Cheers,
    M.
  • 5. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    tsteele93 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I think it serves no purpose to try and blame dcompiled for the failure of his/her update. Maybe it is like whistling in the dark so you can feel safe knowing that YOUR update would never go wrong because surely he/she must have done something to cause it...

I also don't think visiting an Apple store 100 miles away because my iPhone had crashed would be a "treat."

My suggestions would be to hit google and search for iphone brick or similar terms. You can probably (worst case) do a hard reset on the phone and then build up from there. I had troubles with my update and found that several different attempts at restarting the phone and reconnecting with itunes saved me a lot of hassle as it ended up working again in a very "Microsoft-like" unexplainable way.

Good luck!

-Tom Steele
  • 6. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    Coxon Le Woof Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My iPhone did the same thing. Tried all the things suggested here (except the 100 mile trip) and none worked. SO tried connecting iPhone directly to the Mac via usb (as opposed to through docking hub) and hit restore and voila it started to restore. Hope that helps!!
  • 7. Re: Update 3.0.1 rendered phone useless
    TK4|2|1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    yep mine failed too as described above, fixed by doing hard reset and conecting to a different pc with xp pro, original pc had vista/win 7