Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migartion and partitioned disk

Hi all!

I am just about to migrate from my old MacBook to a new one. The old one has its disk partitioned on two parts - one for the operating system and one as a storage.

I am wondering if I just run the migration assistant it will do the same with the new HDD or it will only migrate the OS and later I will have to manually partition the HDD again and move the files?

Please, give any suggestions on how to do it with less troubles.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 11:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 4, 2009 12:05 PM in response to BDAqua

What I will do is that I will get a new MB and after I run it for the first time I will be asked if I want to migrate. I will say yes and will connect my old MB to it using USB (?) or Fifewire (not sure which one of those will be needed) cable.

Then I'd leave the computers to do whatever needed. This is how I already migrated one and all seemed just OK, besides that I had to insert some serial numbers again...

O believe I'll have to do the same this time, no? The only tricky part is what to do with the partition where I store my working files. You said earlier I need not to create any partitions, yes? I am used to those partitions since I was working actively on my PC, but if I somehow get convinced that the OS is secure enough, I may reconsider partitioning the disk. 🙂

So, back to the point:
1. How to make the computer ask me if I want to migrate for the second time?
2. After I run the migration assistant on first run of my new MB, I will migrate only the partition with the OS, no? Or I may chose (as I believe I see on the images you so kindly provided) other partitions as well? If yes, my question is if the migration assistant WILL or WILL NOT create the second partition for me?..

Thanks for getting involved with this! Thanks though!

Aug 4, 2009 12:10 PM in response to Asen

Hi,
I think Migration Assistant will work for the boot partition but not for the data partition.
I know that Tiger's Migration Assistant will not recognize a volume that does not have OS X installed. I don't usually run Leopard, but I think it's Migration Assistant will only recognize a volume that either has OS X installed or else is a Time Machine volume.

Aug 4, 2009 2:39 PM in response to Asen

1. How to make the computer ask me if I want to migrate for the second time?

It can be run again, it's in Applications>Utilities.

USB (?) or Fifewire

Firewire.

Or I may chose (as I believe I see on the images you so kindly provided) other partitions as well?

Not certain because all my Partitions have versions of OSX on them, but try it.

my question is if the migration assistant WILL or WILL NOT create the second partition for me?

No, it will NOT, it'll if anything copy it to your one existing partition.

Migartion and partitioned disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.