Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Migartion and partitioned disk

1053 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 2:39 PM by BDAqua RSS
Asen Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 3, 2009 11:34 PM
Hi all!

I am just about to migrate from my old MacBook to a new one. The old one has its disk partitioned on two parts - one for the operating system and one as a storage.

I am wondering if I just run the migration assistant it will do the same with the new HDD or it will only migrate the OS and later I will have to manually partition the HDD again and move the files?

Please, give any suggestions on how to do it with less troubles.

Thanks!
Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,755 points)
    Aug 3, 2009 11:57 PM (in response to Asen)
    Hi Asen,

As I recall, you'll be able to migrate everything, but it may take twice.

I assume your new MB is running Leo?

First d the boot partition, and don't worry abbout partitioning the new one, it's mostly pointless & unproductive in OSX.
    Aug 4, 2009 1:19 AM (in response to Asen)
    Here's like what you'll seeassuming you put your old MB in Target Mode...

Continue...

Continue...

Message was edited by: BDAqua
  • jsd2 Level 5 Level 5 (6,200 points)
    Aug 4, 2009 12:10 PM (in response to Asen)
    Hi,
    I think Migration Assistant will work for the boot partition but not for the data partition.
    I know that Tiger's Migration Assistant will not recognize a volume that does not have OS X installed. I don't usually run Leopard, but I think it's Migration Assistant will only recognize a volume that either has OS X installed or else is a Time Machine volume.
    iMac G5 1.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
    Aug 4, 2009 2:39 PM (in response to Asen)
    1. How to make the computer ask me if I want to migrate for the second time?

It can be run again, it's in Applications>Utilities.

USB (?) or Fifewire

Firewire.

Or I may chose (as I believe I see on the images you so kindly provided) other partitions as well?

Not certain because all my Partitions have versions of OSX on them, but try it.

my question is if the migration assistant WILL or WILL NOT create the second partition for me?

No, it will NOT, it'll if anything copy it to your one existing partition.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.