Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default text-editor

When I download a text-file in Safari, by default TextEdit is launched. Unfortunately, it cannot recognise the numerous fields in the Word-documents that are involved.

Can I change the default text-editor to Word ?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 10:34 AM

4 replies

Aug 5, 2009 10:41 AM in response to paieye

Greetings,

Can I change the default text-editor to Word?

Yes, you can. Select the file icon and use Command-I to open the Get Info panel. Near the bottom will be an field labeled "Open with:" and a drop-down menu. Select that menu, choose "Other" and navigate to Word on your hard drive and choose it. You can also choose to open all such documents with Word if you like using the option below that.

Aug 6, 2009 9:22 PM in response to Golden Shoes

I am not quite sure what you have in mind when you say to select the file-icon. I find the link in Safari, and click on it. That produces the 'Downloads' window, which eventually shows the file as downloaded. I can put the focus on to the row containing the file name, but I cannot highlight it. What ought I to be doing ?

Aug 6, 2009 10:12 PM in response to paieye

On a file that has yet to be downloaded, you cannot change the default application for opening it; only after you've downloaded it can that be done. You can (and should) change your Preferences>General setting so that you don't open any "safe" files after downloading. There really is no such thing as a safe file; they are all potentially harmful.

Aug 7, 2009 3:25 AM in response to paieye

paieye wrote:
I am not quite sure what you have in mind when you say to select the file-icon. I find the link in Safari, and click on it. That produces the 'Downloads' window, which eventually shows the file as downloaded. I can put the focus on to the row containing the file name, but I cannot highlight it. What ought I to be doing ?

Find the file in the Downloads folder in your Home folder, not in the Downloads window. Then do as suggested.

Default text-editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.