Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Analogue -> Digital video with KWORLD USB DVD Maker 2

hi,

i'm trying to transfer VHS tapes onto my Mac using a device called 'Kworld USB DVD Maker 2' - which is basically a USB device to plug straight into my Mac and has RCA inputs on the other end (red/yellow/white inputs) to connect to the analogue source (in my case the VHS player).

This product was advertised as Mac compatible but I can't get it to work! I used the installation disc and I've now got a program called Empia Capture, it came with another disc from Cyberlink with further software but these won't install (not made for Macs I guess). I've tried connecting everything up and recording onto my Mac, through 'Empia Capture' but I get nothing. I was hoping to import the raw footage to hard drive and then edit with iMovie and burn to DVD with iDVD.

Any help or advice anyone? Much appreciated!

MacBook Alliminium, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 3:55 PM

13 replies

Aug 5, 2009 6:48 PM in response to michael.richardson

OK. Here's the deal with USB vs. Firewire. USB transfers data in packets (short bursts) while Firewire transfers data in a sustained stream. Most non-linear editing programs will incorrectly interpret the gap between the short bursts of a USB data transfer as 'dropped frames' at the very least, or worse, as a data throughput error.

Due to the relatively high data rate demand of video (as compared to other computer data) most non-linear editing programs require video capture and editing to be done with a sustained stream, that's why Firewire or other forms of sustained data transfer (SATA or eSATA for example) are recommended.

-DH

Aug 6, 2009 2:59 AM in response to michael.richardson

on the consumer side of the world 😉, there are usb-connected converters avail, which do work with Mac.

often recommended, due to 2-1 feature: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/hybrid09/product3.en.html

yes, the converted material comes in highly compressed, yes, compressing analogue-sources as VHS is not good idea, yes, for some editors you have to convert a 3rd times..

but, .. .
it is a low-budget solution, many use it to transfer old homevideos to Mac/DVD/iPod..

plus, it teaches your Mac to be a TV and a Videorecorder! 😉

Aug 6, 2009 7:58 AM in response to michael.richardson

I was hoping to import the raw footage to hard drive and then edit with iMovie and burn to DVD with iDVD

If that's what you want to do, then you really do need a converter like the Canopus ADVC-110 or ADVC-300.

The Kworld USB DVD Maker 2 will not do the job. The software is for Windows, not OSX. Even if it actually worked, it would convert your video to MPEG 1,2 or 4, which cannot be edited by iMovie or Final Cut.

The Canopus devices will do the proper job of converting your analog VHS video to DV so it can be edited in iMovie or Final Cut.

Aug 6, 2009 8:13 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

The EyeTV is a very interesting device however it only supports H.264 and MPEG4, neither of which is very useful given that the OP wants to edit in iMovie. He would have to capture, save & export from EyeTV; then use MPEG Streamclip to convert the H.264/MPEG4 video to DV; then import into iMovie. Time consuming processes, and there will be quality losses due to the multiple compressions & conversions. Easier & better to go straight from VHS to DV even though the converter costs more.

Aug 6, 2009 8:41 AM in response to MartinR

MartinR wrote:
.. it only supports H.264 and MPEG4, neither of which is very useful given that the OP wants to edit in iMovie.

iM09 handles h264 natively.. no conversion on import nor when processed.
you get better results with h264 than with dv for example.. (no field dropping, no gamma issue)

DV is no longer 'supported natively' by iM09..
different cup of tea is iMHD≤6...
actually, a group of iM-enthusiasts work on this problem...-
a free website discribing the prob and offering a solution is soon avail..

I dare to say, h264 is iM's preferred format.. 😉

that's why I recommend this device for the hobbyist.

Aug 6, 2009 2:59 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten,

You said ... +" DV is no longer 'supported natively' by iM09.. "+

I'm not convinced that statement is true however I do not mean to start a debate about it here.

My understanding is that iM08/iM09 use only 1 of the 2 interlaced fields in DV video, which is why the quality degrades compared to DV in iM06 and FCE. I guess I'd have to agree, if the OP is using iM08 or iM09, H.264 would be a better choice.

Aug 7, 2009 6:19 AM in response to MartinR

MartinR wrote:
.. You said ... +" DV is no longer 'supported natively' by iM09.. "+
.. My understanding is that iM08/iM09 use only 1 of the 2 interlaced fields in DV video, which is why the quality degrades compared to DV in iM06 and FCE. ..

that's what I meant ..
iMHD≤6 allowed to export a dv as 'fullDV' 😉
iM08/09 drops a field and does some other harm to poor dv-stream..

Analogue -> Digital video with KWORLD USB DVD Maker 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.