Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition a Raid Set

How can i partition a raid set on a G5 2.3 GHZ
I need 2 Partitions in mirrored raid confiuration
if i partition first the raid destroys the partitions
If i raid the disks first I have NO option for partitioning?

MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.5), [URL]http://archidrafting.com.au[URL]

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2009 1:20 AM

Normally you mirror entire drives and just drag into the window. If, instead, you want to have multiple mirror volumes, or mirror and standard:

Create two partitions on each drive that are identical (the drives really should also be same make/model/firmware)

Drag "A1" and "B1" into the RAID setup window.
Then you still have A2 and B2 that you can leave, or combine into RAID set.

Apple does have tech note on how. The whole thing is much easier and can be changed easier if you were to buy SoftRAID.com product. It also offers "stripe reading" for mirrors to improve performance.

Most people use two drives but having three drive mirror has added redundancy in case of failure, and you can break one drive off for backup storage and still have two drives.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2009 1:20 AM in response to Ozewolf

Normally you mirror entire drives and just drag into the window. If, instead, you want to have multiple mirror volumes, or mirror and standard:

Create two partitions on each drive that are identical (the drives really should also be same make/model/firmware)

Drag "A1" and "B1" into the RAID setup window.
Then you still have A2 and B2 that you can leave, or combine into RAID set.

Apple does have tech note on how. The whole thing is much easier and can be changed easier if you were to buy SoftRAID.com product. It also offers "stripe reading" for mirrors to improve performance.

Most people use two drives but having three drive mirror has added redundancy in case of failure, and you can break one drive off for backup storage and still have two drives.

Partition a Raid Set

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.