Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Calendar looks ugly in iCal (espcially w/delegates)?

Is there any way to make the sidebar more simplified when subscribing to multiple calendars from your google account?

The sidebar looks horrendous when you start adding in secondary calendars (delegates) ...... very redundant.

Any way to clean this up? 😟

Or will Snow Leopard abolish this ugliness?

G5 + MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 6, 2009 3:53 AM

11 replies

Sep 30, 2009 8:05 AM in response to Flawless Knockoff

The sidebar looks horrendous when you start adding in secondary calendars (delegates) ...... very
redundant. Any way to clean this up?

I agree, it looks awful. My search to look for info on this topic was "ical google calendar sync is ugly".

God knows why the secondary (delegate) calendars are added doubly as they are, what a mess!

The best I've found to escape this ugliness is to add the secondary calendars individually, which I learned how to do from here: http://email.about.com/od/googlecalendartips/qt/SetUp_Google_Calendar_iCalSync.htm

*+Here are the instructions modified for Snow Leopard:+*

Select iCal | Preferences. Go to the Accounts tab. Click Add beneath the Accounts list. In the 'Account Type' drop box, choose CalDAV, not 'Automatic' setup that will make it look like poop.

Enter your Google account and password. In the 'Server address' field input "https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/", then open Google Calendar in your browser to get the Calendar ID of the desired calendar --> from the main Google Calendar page click Settings | Calendars tab | Click the desired calendar's name and under Calendar Address (at the bottom), select and copy the long email address following 'Calendar ID' that ends in @group.calendar.google.com. Go back to your iCal Accounts Preferences and paste this long address at the end of the ../calendar/dav/ in the 'Server address' field, then append "/user/" at the very end.

The final string under Server address will look similar to "https://www.google.com/ calendar/ dav/345lsf00sfsasf9mf4knak3i23qa4d9sp1bgc@group.calendar.google.com/user".

Click 'Create' and then close the Accounts Preferences window.

It should look a bit more friendly now... I wish both the primary and secondary Google calendars would all be grouped under one heading in the source pane though. Hopefully this and the redundant calendar listing gets fixed in future updates.

John

Nov 23, 2009 12:26 AM in response to badtz

Aside from being ugly, the "delegates" list is causing me problems syncing to my iPod.

iTunes will only sync events from the main calendar to my iPod. All calendars are selected for syncing, only events from the "mother" account end up on the iPod, nothing from the delegates. iCal itself looks fine (aside from the Accounts/Delegation window).

Can anyone confirm if the fix above will solve my iPod sync issue?

Feb 9, 2010 3:17 PM in response to badtz

Agreed. The multiple hierarchies for delegate calendars (via Google Calendar) look ghastly, and I have a relatively simple calendar setup. I really feel sorry for anyone who has several calendars from multiple places.

Come on Apple, clean this up. I should see all my delegate calendars under my primary calendar they are associated with; and not this horrible redundant sub-folder looking structure, and not completely separate from the main calendars hierarchy. (Or at least allow people the choice, let us drag and drop things where we want them to appear)

Google Calendar looks ugly in iCal (espcially w/delegates)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.