Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital Camera for great iPhoto book quality

I want to start making iPhoto books, calendars, and cards and was looking to buy a new digital camera in order to do this. I was wondering how many megapixels I should get in order to ensure high quality pictures when I have the books printed out.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 12:35 PM

6 replies

Aug 7, 2009 12:46 PM in response to Rmw14

Rmw

Welcome to the Apple user to user assistance forums

Any camera that is 8 MP or greater will give you 300 dpi for full page photos - books do not use anything more than that

I like Sony cameras

Cannon camera's generally do not mount to the desktop which can be a small hassle sometimes - but they probably are the most popular cameras among posters

LN

Aug 7, 2009 12:51 PM in response to LarryHN

In addition to Larry’s sage advice: the only things more important than mexapixels are the size of the Sensor in the camera and the lenses there.

So, what’s your budget? A dSLR with a good lens will always give better results than a point and shoot camera with more megapixels. the dSLR will have a bigger sensor - literally, its‘ megapixels are worth more than a P&S camera’s 😉 - and a better lensing system.

With Point and Shoot cameras you will get best results by sticking to well known brand names - Canon, Nikon etc.

Some camera review sites:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

and

http://www.dpreview.com/

Regards

TD

Aug 7, 2009 12:57 PM in response to Yer_Man

TD,

Thanks. My budget is probably anything under $300. I'm want really good quality print outs, but if I can get that done with an 8 megapixel camera and I wouldn't notice a difference with a 10 or 12 megapixel camera than so be it. But if I'm going to notice it somewhere I'd rather spend the extra money. Also, I want something that's convenient enough to carry around by itself, so I think I might be stuck in the point and shoot category.

Aug 7, 2009 12:59 PM in response to Rmw14

No - but you can use one to shoot at a lower size and use the higher size if you need it

As TD says MP is not quality (a large bad image is still a bad image) - sensor size and lens quality make the difference - the more you spend (in general) the better quality you will have but any modern point and shoot camera does great for iPhoto books

LN

Aug 7, 2009 8:33 PM in response to Rmw14

..... Be happy with your budget. I had a nice Canon that sold for under $300, as I recall. My pictures and videos came out looking wonderful, I feel. (So did others) Unfortunately, it was eventually ruined, by my very hard use under awful weather conditions. I wasn't always careful. It just went off to recycling heaven.
Shooting nature shots, I must say that I did see other people's pictures that were better than mine. Gosh knows how much those big cameras with telephoto lenses and super-fast shooting cost.
Those cameras are almost unfair competition, since these people could simply put the camera on auto, aim at a moving subject and start shooting multiple pics per second. Of course one of them would catch this or that bird in flight with a fish in its mouth, for example. Fantastic Picture! Yet, it was the camera that made the pic, not the photographer, IMHO.
Eventually, I just called them nature paarazzi, and enjoyed myself despite some rude laughter at my real mistakes. Still is fun. Some photographers are just cruel, but that's different story.

Digital Camera for great iPhoto book quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.