Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot ping to macbook pro

I can't get my macbook accessable for other computers in my local network. I have the following setup:

router: airport extreme base station
macbook pro(3,1) with mac os x (10.5.8)

I set the Security option to allow all incoming traffic.
I set the Sharing options to allow for external ssh login.

I can login from the macbook to an another computer in my network with ssh (for example to a linux based nas). If I try to ping to the macbook (with the correct ip address) the pinging fails. Also an ssh fails:

+[~] # ssh -vvv 10.0.1.6+
+OpenSSH_4.6p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003+
+debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0+
+debug1: Connecting to 10.0.1.6 [10.0.1.6] port 22.+
+debug1: connect to address 10.0.1.6 port 22: Connection timed out+
+ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.6 port 22: Connection timed out+

It occurs both with wireless and wired connection.

I checked with sysctl the status of the ipfw firewall and turned it off:

+$ sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable+
+net.inet.ip.fw.enable: 1+
+$ sudo ipfw disable firewall+
+$ sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable+
+net.inet.ip.fw.enable: 0+

However, after changing this setting still a ping is not possible. Also if I reboot the ipfw firewall is turned on again.

I rebooted the macbook with an ubuntu livecd and checked if it was possible to access it with ssh. In that case it works fine so my conclusion is that the problem is somewhere in the mac os x setup, the router is configured ok.

Any ideas what to do? Is there a possibility to turn ipfw permanently off? Also do I have to check other things?

macbook pro (2008), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 1:53 PM

10 replies

Aug 8, 2009 2:38 AM in response to Tim Haigh

I removed the files:

Networkinterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.network.identification.plist

in order to reset the network settings. Still same result. Connection time out with ssh and no ping.

Also on the linux system where I log in with ssh from the mac netstat gives the following output:

netstat -na | grep 22
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 10.0.1.3:53906 94.23.200.122:4500 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 10.0.1.3:22 10.0.1.6:51661 ESTABLISHED

I can use ssh on the mac to its own ip adress: ssh 10.0.1.6 works.

Aug 8, 2009 5:47 PM in response to mataram

When I come across and issue like this for a client. I go through most of the steps outlined so far in this thread. If that shows no clues, I also check the console, secure logs and firewall logs, if they show no clues I take out my firewire drive which as a clean installation of leopard on it with no 3rd party apps. I boot the mac from that drive and if that shows that the network problem is not there. Then I just reinstall the OS on the mac, it is sometimes quicker to do this than to spend many more hours troubleshooting.

However prior to doing this try creating a test user on that mac, login as that test user and see if the problem is still there.

If I use the migration assistant to transfer the data form the clients mac onto the firewire drive then clone the firewire drive back onto the mac, I can have this finished in under 30 mins. Unless of course the client has a 150GB itunes library !!!!

cannot ping to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.