Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mail.app with Outlook OWA (web access)

I'm having an awful time using Mail to access my university email account. I know multiple other mac users for whom the following settings DO work. I have verified the settings MANY TIMES and I am POSITIVE they are correct, so that is not the issue. The settings were provided by my IT department.

Email: my full school email address (containing the @blah.edu)
POP server: outlook.com
SSL: on, port 995
Authentication: password

Error message: "The server error encountered was: The server “outlook.com” refused to allow a connection on port 995."

If I try to use terminal to SSH to outlook.com on port 995, I get the same message.

My IT department opened a service ticket with microsoft and they were unhelpful.

MacBook 13" Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0ghz, 4GB RAM

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 1:32 PM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2009 6:12 AM in response to rwjones

Since I don't have a Windows Live account, I can't see anything but the login page that link brings me to. But this seems to me to be a very strange way to access a university email account. I'd expect a university to have its own exchange server, not use windows live to get mail from its servers.

Still, a quick search showed that windows live seems to use this pop server: pop3.live.com

So give that one a try and see what happens.

Using Mail.app with Outlook OWA (web access)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.