Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating from MacBook Pro 2007 to 2009 version

I have a MacBook Pro 2007 version running the latest software. I am buying the latest MacBook Pro 15inch and am thinking of reformatting the drive on the new machine and loading the SuperDuper clone from my old machine. I have successfully done this on the current Mac when I upgraded the hard drive. In the new situation, I am aware that the hardware will be different (ie mouse pad etc).
Is this a sensible option?
Advice welcomed.
Phil

MacBook Pro 1.1, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 10:59 AM

Hi Phil,

It absolutely makes sense. I'd offer a bit of caution from my recent experiences:

I cloned the HD of my 2.2GHz MacBook Pro running the latest software (at the time) and restored it to a brand new 13" MBP. As I later learned, the 13" MBP had a custom build of OS X due to the shared headphone out/audio in port so I wasn't able to use headphones on my computer until I then performed an Archive & Install. In addition, I was unable to run Boot Camp on my machine. I continued to get an odd error message about my software not being up-to-date, despite the fact that I was running 10.5.7 (at the time was the latest version).

Those two "issues" aside everything else went without a hitch. After a little bit more research, mostly when I was researching the Boot Camp issue, I learned that if he had used a TM backup to restore the system then I wouldn't have had this problem it was some thing to do with using SuperDuper/CCC that caused the issue.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2009 10:59 AM in response to philg1824

Hi Phil,

It absolutely makes sense. I'd offer a bit of caution from my recent experiences:

I cloned the HD of my 2.2GHz MacBook Pro running the latest software (at the time) and restored it to a brand new 13" MBP. As I later learned, the 13" MBP had a custom build of OS X due to the shared headphone out/audio in port so I wasn't able to use headphones on my computer until I then performed an Archive & Install. In addition, I was unable to run Boot Camp on my machine. I continued to get an odd error message about my software not being up-to-date, despite the fact that I was running 10.5.7 (at the time was the latest version).

Those two "issues" aside everything else went without a hitch. After a little bit more research, mostly when I was researching the Boot Camp issue, I learned that if he had used a TM backup to restore the system then I wouldn't have had this problem it was some thing to do with using SuperDuper/CCC that caused the issue.

Aug 8, 2009 11:40 AM in response to philg1824

On the contrary: what you propose is entirely inadvisable. You would do much better to leave the existing factory OS installation in place on your new machine and use Migration Assistant to migrate your old user files and applications. By doing so, you will be able to have confidence that you have the appropriate system software in place to control and take advantage of every aspect of your new hardware, no matter how obscure. Cloning an old OS onto the new machine will result in an OS installation that does not support many of the MBP's newer features — some of which you may discover aren't working long after you have forgotten why not.

Message was edited by: eww

migrating from MacBook Pro 2007 to 2009 version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.