Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator library

I am trying to have the automator automatically open all of my textedit documents that I worked on before I reboot the computer, is that possible?

Also, are more libraries available for automator? As it is the app can't do a lot. Nothing I wanted can be done by drag and drop alone. I REALLY want to avoid having to learn applescript, because I am not really a programming kind of a person.

Thanks for reading!

Macbook air 1.6Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 5:48 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2009 6:49 PM in response to Hoshen

Automator can open the documents, but an additional action will be needed to get what the recent documents are from TextEdit - Automator is designed to be a bit more more general purpose than an AppleScript.

There are several third party actions that can be added, for example http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/ has several. In addition, developing AppleScript based Automator actions is reasonably easy (don't quote me on that), so there are also a few AppleScript's wrapped into custom actions out there.

Aug 8, 2009 8:02 PM in response to red_menace

recent documents list stores the last 10 (that number can be changed) accessed documents. this is not the same thing as the documents opened at the last logout time. I don't see any way at all to do what the OP wants. The best i can possibly see how to do is open a fixed number of the last opened documents.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Aug 10, 2015 6:02 PM in response to red_menace

Hi Red,

Just vocing my frustrations. Not aimed at you at all. I hope you are doing better than I am.

Isn't it funny that the URL that you listed has the word Automator in it, but when you follow the link and do a CMD + F for Automator, it is no where to be found?

Just like Apple, good stuff, just can't seem to get the details right.

Cheers to you!

Automator library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.