Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SUPERDRIVE will not recognize commercial audio or data DVD's or CD's

I've had it. I have tried everything I could search for - any help would be appreciated.

I have an aluminim 24" iMac that is out of warranty. I've had CD/DVD burning issues over the past 6 months, and things have gotten worse today. Previously I had been unable to burn media, but now the drive does not even recognize commercial dvd's or CD's. When I insert a commercial dvd (data or movie), it is recognized as a blank. Even the Leopard DVD experiences the same issues.

When I try inserting an audio cd, it is recognized as an "Audio CD" on the desktop, but cannot be played by any media player.

I've read horror stories of Apple charging in excess of $400 to replace this drive. I'd rather have the drive replaced rather than go with an external drive, but that partially defeats the purpose of an iMac.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any chance that Apple will take care of this issue at no charge? As I mentioned, I own a vast amount of Apple hardware, and this is the first significant issue I've encountered.

iMac 10.5.4, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 7:38 PM

1 reply

Aug 9, 2009 7:58 AM in response to drummerjoe

I am having the same issue as well. I looked at Disc Burning in System Profiler and get this message: "No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly." I've tried to look for the CD in Disc Utility but it does not show up there either.

I'm wondering if the latest system update caused this, as this never happened to me until I updated to 10.5.7. I am going to zap my PRAM, check to see if there is another system update (I'm hoping a fix was released), and go from there.

*EDIT*
Well, I zapped my PRAM and the disc read on the first try. Let's see if that's all the fix I need, or if this starts happening again. My drive is also now showing up in System Profiler.

Message was edited by: Ron Rico

SUPERDRIVE will not recognize commercial audio or data DVD's or CD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.