Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Listening while recording---dumb question?

I'm new to GB and kind of learning-as-I-go, but I can't seem to figure this out. This is my first recording, and I recorded an electric guitar track. I want to lay down a bass track but how do I listen to my guitar track while I'm playing bass? I'm seriously not a good enough musician to play bass to a silent track just looking at the waveform.

And on an unrelated note, even with Monitor On, I cannot hear my electric guitar through my computer speakers whole I'm playing (nor my headphones, for that matter).

Any help is appreciated!

Macbook 13", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2009 9:31 AM

11 replies

Aug 9, 2009 6:40 PM in response to David Hartz

You should be able to hear your guitar when recording or when just plugged in wit a track record enabled, work on that first.

Check that the input and output are selected in garageband preferences. Make sure track is record enabled. Choose the correct input try either channel 1 mono if nothing channel 2 mono. You should hear your guitar or see the virtual LEDs moving in track header.

Aug 9, 2009 11:22 PM in response to David Hartz

can I listen to my recorded guitar track WHILE I record the bass track?

You absolutely can. Just record enable the bass track, hit record and as it records, the first Track and any other recorded Tracks will play (unless you mute them or solo the Track recording.)

btw, I don't think there's anyone out there who can really record only to a waveform. 🙂 Although I sometimes watch it to help me stay on the beat.

Listening while recording---dumb question?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.