Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

student discount: what do I need?

alright, I've searched the site, yet I can't find anything to answer my question:

I'm ready to buy an ibook, but this will be the first time I'll use a student discount to buy one. What I'm not sure is that do I need any information to prove that I'm a currently registered student? Does the store need a student ID card? Because if it does, well I'm out of luck since the branch campus I'm going to doesn't give out student ID cards. So what else can I give them other then my campus email and student #?

Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 9, 2009 11:34 AM

14 replies

Aug 9, 2009 1:32 PM in response to elsais

Go to the Online Store and click on the link for the Education Store. Provide your state and the list of approved schools will be displayed in the list. You can then locate yours. Branches are considered part of the school but will not be listed.

If there's no Apple Store then check with your campus bookstore or computer store to see if Macs are available through them. Otherwise order from Apple's Online Store. You will eventually be asked to fax your proof of enrollment before they will ship the order.

Aug 9, 2009 2:53 PM in response to khassani

Nor me, but that's most likely because you, like me, already have that proof on record. Supposedly they still request it prior to shipping.

I can't imagine that would change or everyone could order off the Education Store. Would Apple really give up that tiny discount just to sell more computers to students? Beats me.

I provided my faculty ID years ago when I first started buying through the Education discount. Once I faxed the info to them they stopped asking for it. I assume they simply check to see if the proof had been provided.

Aug 9, 2009 3:57 PM in response to Kappy

I provided a student ID for a rebate on my first computer. My next new computer came 9 years later, and they didn't ask for anything, but I doubt they could have connected the 2. I don't think they would match on name, and I had no other information that would still match in that span.

My sister also just became a college student and she didn't have to provide anything to get her discount, though my mom has bought Apple products from that physical address with an education discount... It doesn't appear that they're checking anymore, which is a little strange.

Aug 9, 2009 4:18 PM in response to khassani

Yes, I agree that is a bit odd. Since I have been purchasing products using my academic discount since 1990 I've purchased quite a few items, mostly hardware. I was required to fax proof of my academic affiliation the first time. The purchase was accompanied with online forms indicating my university employment, etc. When my order was accepted they sent an email to that effect. However, when they sent the shipping notice the email specifically stated that until they received my proof the order would not be shipped. After I faxed my ID to them I received an acknowledgment and the shipping information.

I've assumed that process had continued.

student discount: what do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.