12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2009 4:23 PM by welshwiggle
zmix Level 1 (120 points)
Does Logic 9 "Bounce in Place" allow hardware I/O inserts to be included in the bounce?

In other words, is there a realtime bounce option that will include the realtime hardware processing applied through the Logic "Helper - > I/O" plugin?

Also, is there an additional freeze option that will allow realtime freezing of tracks processed by hardware inserts on the channel strip?

Thanks...!

G5 Quad, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • mattrixx Level 3 (940 points)
    No it doesn't. It also cannot do it in realtime, which would be a requirement of such a feature to work correctly any way.
    You have to do it the old 'Bounce and add to bin' in realtime method.
  • Logic Pro Level 3 (645 points)
    mattrixx wrote:
    No it doesn't. It also cannot do it in realtime, which would be a requirement of such a feature to work correctly any way.
    You have to do it the old 'Bounce and add to bin' in realtime method.

bounce in place is a solution to those who do not have the hardware to do it, it enables users to bounce a virtual instrument, track with effects, several tracks in a group as in loops or whatever into a new track with out external hardware capable of playing back into a a live rec enabled (muted) temp track to capture a performance of the tracks or track played back.

bounce in place saves tons of time
    But didn't I answer the original question? I am very aware of what the Bounce in place is for, so as I mentioned, the only way to achieve what the original poster was referring to, is to use the realtime Bounce to disk 'realtime', rather than the the new Boucne in place function.
  • Lost Memories Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi, it's seems it's possible, I can't try it cause I don't have Logic 9, but in the doc I read:

"When bouncing in place, the audio file format of the bounce (sample rate and resolution) is determined by your audio recording settings, and the bounce file is created in the current recording folder. The bounce process is usually performed offline, but Logic Pro automatically switches to real-time bouncing whenever necessary. (When there is external gear involved, the External Instrument or I/O plug-in is used.)"

So, when you bounce in place with the I/O plug inserted, Logic should normally switches to realtime bouncing.
    It didn't work when I tried it several times in several situations. Audio wasn't sent or received by Logic unfortunately.
  • Sampleconstruct Level 5 (5,870 points)
    You can always use the good old Bus recording method which was introduced in Logic 8. Send your Audio to a Bus, insert the I/O Plug for external processing and select that Bus as an Input for a new Audio track - then record in realtime.
  • zmix Level 1 (120 points)
    Thanks for the simple 'no' answer.

I am aware of all the suitable workarounds, just curious to know if Apple addressed this one yet.
  • Lost Memories Level 1 (0 points)
    It will work as soon as the final release of Logic Pro 9 will be available and the beta test period will be finished LOL
    if your hardware is capable of routine as RME, Fireface, Apogee then yes, when it comes to real time between tracks you need hardware or send it to a aux bus.
    zmix wrote:
    Thanks for the simple 'no' answer.

I am aware of all the suitable workarounds, just curious to know if Apple addressed this one yet.

its not a apple problem or one at all, its how audio engineering works, bounce is a technic used in multitrack recording since tape when tracks where limited, Pro Tools can do what you want to decent hardware as i said.
    Logic pro. Mmmmm you've drifted off topic again. The point was about whether logic included external hardware for the bounce in place function, which it claims to, but doesn't seem to.
    Btw, protools cannot do anything in regard to external hardware that logic can't do.
    We are also not discussing the virtues of track bouncing in the context of older tape methods, we are talking about Bounce in place. A very different tool for a very different issue.
  • welshwiggle Level 1 (45 points)
    I'm with Sampleconstruct. Even if Bounce in Place does work a la manual. Its still requires a realtime bounce

Just as quick to use bus technique.

I use this for all mixdowns and even have dry and fx stems created using buses