Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTSC vs PAL

This might be a stupid question but how can you tell if a Quicktime MPG file is either recored in NTSC or PAL? Wich is better to compress to also?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 29, 2005 10:39 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2005 12:44 AM in response to C.S EMELEC

A clip that originated from PAL footage will probably have a frame rate of 25 fps, one that originated from NTSC will probably have a frame rate of 29.97 or 30 fps.

You can find out what the clip's framerate is in the "Window > Show Movie Info" window.

As for which one is better, PAL is a newer format (if you can call 38 years old "new") & has a larger frame size & better chroma, but a lower frame rate than NTSC. Which is "best" really depends on the format of your original footage, and your intended delivery audience.

If your footage was shot in NTSC and you're playing on regular TV's (e.g. on Video CD- MPEG-1 or DVD- MPEG-1 or MPEG-2) to an audience in an NTSC country (e.g. USA), there's little reason to do a standards conversion. If your audience is using computers for replay, ditto. Computers don't care about PAL/NTSC differences no matter which country they're in or the video standard used there.

If all that is Greek and you were actually meaning MPEG-4 format, well that's a whole different kettle of ballparks.

Sep 30, 2005 2:30 AM in response to C.S EMELEC

PAL = 25 fps. Usually 720x576 but also 704x576, 352x576 and 352x288 might be used.

NTSC = 29,97 fps. Usually 720x480 but also 704x480, 352x480 and 352x240 might be used.

Notice that QT Player doesn't report the correct resolutions for MPEG files (it reports them scaled to 4:3) so use apps like MPEG Streamclip or mpgtx to see the resolution.

Usually you want to compress to the same standard as the input is.

Oct 2, 2005 10:10 PM in response to pesto

Ok...i have a Mini DV camera that records in NTSC and when i download it to IMovieHD then output it to QT so i can save it on a CD should i say VCD it looks like crap....why? I dont have a DVD burner yet...but how can i get a descent quality output on QT to view on a regular TV? Should i use a different program or maybe i am saving it the wrong way and recording it the wrong way.

NTSC vs PAL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.