Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving files from Photoshop to Import into iMovie 09

1. What is the best file format for saving images from Photoshop to bring into iMovie 09?

2. What should the image size of the file be set to from Photoshop? I would like the best quality while working in iMovie prior to exporting and compressing after I am done editing.

Thank you in advance.

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 10:49 PM

1) depends on format of your videos in iM09.. if your video source is SD/miniDV, this has a res of 720x480 (NTSC); if your source is 'HiDef', res is 1920x1080..
newer versions of Photoshop offer in the 'New file' dialog ready-made templates for diff. video formats

but...
this is the final size.. if you like to use the socalled Ken-Burns-effect, the pic has to offer more pixel.
sidenote: dpi doesn't matter in video, 300 or 5 - no difference in video; video has a fixed resolution, independently of size of display (dpi=dots per inch..)

2) resolution of final delivery at last, .pic or high-quality .jpeg.. (video is compressed anyhow...)

where or how you want to deliver? on the web?
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2009 10:49 PM in response to kat.hayes

1) depends on format of your videos in iM09.. if your video source is SD/miniDV, this has a res of 720x480 (NTSC); if your source is 'HiDef', res is 1920x1080..
newer versions of Photoshop offer in the 'New file' dialog ready-made templates for diff. video formats

but...
this is the final size.. if you like to use the socalled Ken-Burns-effect, the pic has to offer more pixel.
sidenote: dpi doesn't matter in video, 300 or 5 - no difference in video; video has a fixed resolution, independently of size of display (dpi=dots per inch..)

2) resolution of final delivery at last, .pic or high-quality .jpeg.. (video is compressed anyhow...)

where or how you want to deliver? on the web?

Aug 14, 2009 7:37 AM in response to kat.hayes

kat.hayes wrote:
1. What is the best file format for saving images from Photoshop to bring into iMovie 09?

I see you have not marked your topic "Answered", so you may be hoping for some other suggestions. If your item 1 is intended to ask about file "type" (.psd, .jpg, .png, .tif, etc.), here is my suggestion.

Because of the large file size of PhotoShop (PS) .psd image files, *unless you need to keep the PS version with Layers, Adjustments, etc*., _and unless you do NOT keep a separate folder of PS images_, I suggest that you NOT save the PS .psd file "format" (type) into iPhoto (or iMovie.)

I keep all PS (.psd) image files that I want to retain in separate folders outside iPhoto. I also save the finished (PS) image as a .jpg or .png version which I import into iPhoto for easy import into iMovie via the media browser. Whether to use jpeg or png depends on the image quality I need.

If you are capturing the snapshots that you are editing with PS from an iSight, other webcam, or a Flip camcorder, the jpg version will probably give you all the quality you need. However, to make your decision easier, you can save multiple file type (and compression settings) versions of the edited file when you are finished in PS. Then import all the various jpgs, pngs, tiffs, etc, into a test movie, lable (title) them for easy identification, save the movie, and see if you can tell any difference in quality or each image when you replay your test movie. If you can tell a difference, you can decide how much quality you need and match that need with the file type and size that gives the necessary quality level. If you cannot see a difference in the move regardless of which file type or compression level, you can save space by using the smallest image file.

+re: your item 2:+ I have nothing to add to Karsten's expert comments on resolution and file size.

EZ Jim

G5 DP 1.8GHz w/Mac OS X (10.5.8) PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11)   iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9)  External iSight

Saving files from Photoshop to Import into iMovie 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.