Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicates in Stacks and other Editing in the Finder

I am a new Aperture 2 user and I am loving it so far!

What I am wondering is if there is a way to make duplicates in a stack show up in the finder? I have noticed that the only files in the finder are masters... is there a way to show the duplicates at least?

At the very least - I would like to be able to use some events as a screensaver or desktop. In sys prefrences, the album shows up, and all the edited photos appear as they should, but still - the duplicates are not there.

Do I need to un-stack the photo's to accomplish this?

Thanks =]

15" MacBook Pro 2.66, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Bootcamp WinXP SP3

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 11:15 PM

2 replies

Aug 13, 2009 6:24 AM in response to mafiosogiacomo

Two things:
1- You can't show edited versions in the Finder because they don't exist outside of Aperture (unless you've created a TIFF file by using Dodge and burn or another plugin or editor). This is why it's a non-destructive editor: your adjustments are just sets of instructions saved in an xml file and applied on the fly by Aperture when you view the picture. The only thing you can see in the Finder are your masters. If you want to use edited versions you first need to export them.

2- The iLife browser only shows files for which Aperture has created a preview. Make sure the files you want to use as screensaver or desktop pic contain a preview (try dragging it to your desktop: if the preview is there you'll see a green + sign appear signifying it'll be copied. If no sign appears, you don't have a preview). You can set Preview generation in Aperture's preferences or generate them manually.

But I'm struggling with your definition of duplicates: what exactly do you mean by that? If you're talking about different versions of the same file (with varying settings), then they're called versions. In fact the entire Aperture workflow is based on versions, stacks and picks. Duplicates would be the exact same picture, without any changes.

Not trying to be snotty here btw, just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly!

Aug 13, 2009 1:32 PM in response to Jade Leary

Hah, don't worry - it wasn't that snotty =]

Yes, when I say duplicates I mean a duplicate of the master with different settings. I called them duplicates, but now I know to call them "versions."

I've found a work around for the reason that I wanted my photos in the finder, but I am still looking for a solution so I can select an event as a screen saver. I can do so now, but it does not display any "version."

Thank you for your explanation, it was very helpful =]

Duplicates in Stacks and other Editing in the Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.