Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible Security Breach (or not)

Hi all,
I am not sure if my network/laptop were accessed externally or not. Could I have some opinions/advice please.

I have a G4 PowerBook (running OS X 10.5.8) and an iMac (Intel chip, running OS X 10.5.8) wirelessly networked via an older style Airport Extreme (network settings: g). Everything is password protected. I tend to leave everything turned on and available as in my 5 years of being a Mac fan, I have not had any security or virus issues whatsoever - I love that!

Mostly I use my PowerBook, and will simply shut the lid while I do other things. I re-boot when things start to run slow (depending on what I am doing that could be about once/week or even once/month).

Last night I had been using my PowerBook, left it for a while (lid shut) and then came back and opened the lid. As it 'came back to life' and re-established its network/internet connections, I received a pop-up message along the lines of: "G4LocalName" is already in use - G4LocalName_2 will be used for this session".

G4LocalName is presumably the identity of my PowerBook on my local network.

I used the Airport Utility to try and see if anyone else was accessing my network, but because the PowerBook was in need of a reboot (running slow), it all became too difficult. I shut everything down for the evening, including my internet modem.

So, my query is: was someone else accessing my network and possibly my computers? Or, because the G4 PowerBook was in need of a reboot, could it simply have been an issue with slow response and the Network simply assigned an extra identity because it was still holding the old one from my previous session?

I will be changing all passwords this morning, but am just wondering whether there is anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

PowerBook G4, iPhone G3, iMac, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, 16Gb iPod, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 4:09 PM

This is an occasional error that occurs under circumstances as you've described. Just open Sharing preferences and change the Computer Name to what you want. You haven't been hacked and there's no security issue.
2 replies

Possible Security Breach (or not)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.