Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

E-Mail showing up as Black Screen

So when I click on the e-mail icon on my phone, the screen goes black, save for the top status bar where it tells the signal strength/time/battery life.

Anyone know a way to fix this?

iPhone OS 3.0.1

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 5:03 PM

First, try an iPhone reset, which is done by pressing and holding the home button and the sleep/wake or on/off button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo and then release - ignoring the slide to turn off prompt when doing so. A reset does not affect and data or settings.
13 replies

Aug 13, 2009 5:18 PM in response to ALittleCynical

Hi,

You can try forcing the application to quit as described here:

+To force an application to close, follow these steps:+
+iPhone or iPod touch running iPhone OS 3.0 or later+
+Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. When the red slider appears, release the Sleep/Wake button.+
+Instead of dragging the red slider, press and hold the Home button for six seconds.+
+If the device does not return to the Home screen, see the steps below to restart.+

If the issue persists, you should try restarting before trying to reset.
You can restart the iPhone by holding the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears> then slide to turn off> and turn the iPhone back on by pressing the Sleep/Wake again, as described on page 46 of the iPhone User Guide.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhoneUserGuide.pdf

-Jason

Oct 13, 2009 9:39 AM in response to cptcanuck

I had this happen to me today for the first time. I had to restart the iPhone and it has been working fine since then.

What grabbed my attention was that the iPhone was starting to slow down and wasn't as responsive as it had been in the past. I didn't restart the iPhone until the Mail app went to the black screen. It is now back to "normal" conditions after restart.

If this continues, you may want to do a restore on your phone.

E-Mail showing up as Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.