Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organization Question

I am new to Aperature (dabbled a bit before) and have a very basic question. I am coming from LR2 where I imported my images to my external drive in a very simple "tree" format. I want to use referenced files and do the same in Aperture. For example, in LR2, I'd create a master Folder for "Cities", then a folder in that folder for say "New York" and download my NYC photos in that New York folder. The file system in LR2 would allow me to organize this way.

From what I can tell in Aper2, I have to set up a profect - "Cities" then download my NYC photos, then go back and create an album to have the same effect as I mentioned above (in LR2).

What am I not getting - or have I simply not figured out the organization workflow for Aperture2.

Thanks in advance for any advice to what I am sure is a very basic process.

Wm.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Nikon D700

Posted on Aug 13, 2009 11:26 PM

9 replies

Aug 14, 2009 12:48 AM in response to Wm Y

I'm new to Aperture also and am beginning to migrate all of my photos into it.

What I have finally settled on is a folder structure for projects which I keyword at import. I then create a folder called "Cities" and create a Smart Album called "London", "Paris" etc ... within that folder. Any photo with London in the keyword is automatically sent to the "London" Smart Album from the project because that is what instruction I gave the Smart Album. I set my Smart Albums up by asking it to look for specific keywords.

Off Topic: Another nice feature was the ability to change the time zone on import because I accidently left my camera set to EST while shooting in other time zones.

I'm still a beginner and getting organized in Aperture but I hope I've helped some.

Aug 14, 2009 10:10 AM in response to Wm Y

Kathleen gave great advice regarding keywords and smart folders.

The "tree" folder structure is a throwback to the old days of film where we had to organize around a single film original stored in a single hard location. Work to forget what I call folder-think and look at Aperture as an images database to enjoy the huge benefits of Aperture's modern professional images database workflow.

For most photogs there are major benefits to having all photos (referenced or managed; I recommend referenced) in a single library: keywording, sorting, ranking, etc. E.g. to compile all Venice pix just keyword pix from Venice with the "Venice" keyword during batch import. Twenty years later in a few seconds a keyword search brings up all Venice pix ever taken - or any other applied keywords like "canal," "gondola," "wedding," etc. Or to build a portfolio, search brings up all 5 star images in seconds. Pointers to image files found can then be placed into albums or whatever.

I recommend that we advance beyond the concept of folder-think, which was necessary for film but is totally debilitating to the potential of digital capture. Try using keywords extensively.

The tutorial CD Apple Pro Training Series: Aperture 2 (Apple Pro Training Series) by Ben Long, Richard Harrington, and Orlando Luna provides a good tutorial. Note that the value is in the tutorial, not in using the book as a manual.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aug 14, 2009 11:06 AM in response to Wm Y

Dear Wm,
Excellent question. One of the very powerful aspects of Aperture is that it can readily adapt to the way you work. I found, prior to Aperture, I was forced to live within the more limited structure of programs. I use Projects for just that -- a specific shoot or outing. I do make lively use of ratings and keywords to find things other ways. I also use Albums to help with subsets of a projects. Smart Albums are way cool -- I even make smart albums by lens type, which helps with my journey to improve my composition. Each of the mechanisms may be basic, but they way you pull it all together is not. I thought hard about my first approach to Aperture organization, but I've found over the time I've used it (2 years now?) that I've evolved my thinking as I've used it and picked up tips here and there. Best of luck -- you'll be able to find your photographs now! -fjglynn

Aug 14, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Wm Y

Thanks to all for the feedback. It sounds like I need to use keywords and smart albums. So let me see if I have this right:
I create a new Project in Aper2 - in my example above I'd call it "Cities". Then import those MYC pix from my mem card to a master folder on my hard drive and into the Cities project. Still using my example, use NYC as a keyword when importing. After import, create a NYC "smart album" in the Cities Project.

Feedback?

Thanks again.

Aug 14, 2009 2:04 PM in response to Wm Y

I still prefer to have a chronological hierarchy for my "projects". Other prefer a subject based approach.

I create a Year Folder from the + sign with the drop down arrow.

I then click the import arrow.

All of my files are stored by date created anyway so I don't see the need to change my file structure. It's the way my mind works so I'll stay with that for my organizational purposes.

In the import panel:
I keep my original master file name
I adjust the time zone if needed
I add my caption
byline
copyright notice
city
state
country
general keywords that will go with every image in that project
click import all.

I label the project YYYYMMDD-Broad yet Brief Title so they maintain the file structure.

I make sure the import arrow is pointing to my year folder so the project will reside in there so I can twirl it closed and my list doesn't get too long for the screen size. I can twirl them open as needed.

I go in and keyword the names of people and objects etc ... my command clicking down the images for that project.

I then click on the + w/ drop down arrow again in my projects panel and select new smart album. I think you have to be in the libraries all photos for this to work for all photos. (not positive about that)

I have already nested keywords in the keywords HUD that I use in folders so I can twirl open as needed and they aren't a scattered mess.

I created a blue folder called smart albums
within that folder I have blue folders that I've titled for images most important to me
people>
family
friends
relatives

places
one album for each city

I select the keyword I want for that smart album

In some cases it's a city and in some cases it's a person.

I made a smart album for my daughter so every single image I have of her will be in one location.

I beginning to think of aperture as "the google" for my image library,

Once it's all set up it will be as simple as doing a google search to find anything I want to find provided I keyword on import and again for individual images.

I signed up for the Safari Books Online and am reading the book recommended on this thread. Apple Pro Training Series for Aperture 2.

It's showing me that I need to rethink the order I'm doing things and may add culling earlier in my workflow. Why keyword single images that may wind up in the trash bin?

I recommend that along with the podcasts etc ...

It's a seemingly simple application but I think that the input is going to determine it's ease of use going forward.

Training is necessary for this application. The user manual is good but yawn ... The book is a much more interesting way to learn this application and absorb what it can do for you.

I had always felt like a slave to my image management software and now I'm finally beginning to feel like a master.

Good Luck and Have a Great Time!

Aug 16, 2009 3:56 PM in response to Wm Y

Again, great information. I have reviewed the training CD suggessted by Allen and I do see the merits of using keywords and smart albums. However, I can not find how to assign keywords on import. I am sure I am missing this as it is very unproductive to import shots and then go back and keyword. So, how do I batch-assign keyword at import.

Thanks again for all the great information.

WM.

Organization Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.