Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried changing my UID, need some help getting all the way there.

I have a dualboot with Ubuntu and wanted to change my UID from 501 to 1000 so my Ubuntu user could access my files. I found a howto on the web that wasn't as good as I thought. It told me to

1. dscl . -change /Users/Me UniqueID 501 1000
2. chown -R 1000 /Users/Me
3. log out and back in again

When I wanted to log back in, the user Me was gone from the login screen. It was replaced by Other, but using that I could log on as Me. Now most stuff seems to work, but stuff like terminal have lost their preferences. Then I found another post saying to change the permissions of all the files 501 owned like this:

sudo find . -user 501 -exec chown Me {} \; -print

I tried this, but after it is done I still have files owned by 501. And now I understand that I must seek professional help 😀

Any idea how I can finish this without messing everything up?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:30 AM

I would change Ubunto, not BSD.
Modifying the UID in Leopard can be done, but there are both restrictions and caveats.
Change it back if you can, or else use your backup to restore the OS, and fix Ubunto to accept the UID that BSD has assigned you. 501 is part of the standard Unix numbering system. I never heard about 1000 before.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2009 10:30 AM in response to Ayabara

I would change Ubunto, not BSD.
Modifying the UID in Leopard can be done, but there are both restrictions and caveats.
Change it back if you can, or else use your backup to restore the OS, and fix Ubunto to accept the UID that BSD has assigned you. 501 is part of the standard Unix numbering system. I never heard about 1000 before.

Tried changing my UID, need some help getting all the way there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.