Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard on SSD

If I get the Snow Leopard upgrade for a Mac Pro and then in the future I want to swap out the HD for an SSD, will I be able to install Snow Leopard onto that or would I need to put Leopard back on it first?

20" Intel Core 2 Duo, late 2006, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 1:21 PM

Snow leopard hasn't been released yet. everybody who knows the answer to your question is under NDA and can't post it here. everybody else knows as much as you do. wait a few weeks till Snow leopard is released.
6 replies

Aug 14, 2009 1:25 PM in response to Mac OS XP

Mac OS XP wrote:
If I get the Snow Leopard upgrade for a Mac Pro and then in the future I want to swap out the HD for an SSD, will I be able to install Snow Leopard onto that or would I need to put Leopard back on it first?

To add to VK's response, it wont' matter. Whatever it is, it is. You are asking for speculation.
I suggest preparing for either case. Whatever it is, you cannot change.

Aug 14, 2009 1:55 PM in response to Mac OS XP

This isn't a Snow Leopard question. The point of an SSD is that, at a hardware level, it is indistinguishable from a regular hard disk. While we can't speculate whether or not Snow Leopard has a filesystem tuned for SSDs (you can store data on SSDs differently so that you get better performance out of them), we can say with certainty that Snow Leopard won't care if you use an SSD or HD.

Incidentally, since Apple already sells SSD-based systems one would presume that they would have given it some thought if it were the sort of think that would pose a problem.

Snow Leopard on SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.