Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

drawing audio fade out?

In iMovie 05 one was able to view the audio track and draw audio volume by hand. This way it was possible to have exact control over where the audio track had to be "muted" or "faded out".
Is this still possible in iMovie 09? If not: how can I have exact control over a fade out, like the drawing method in 05?

flatpanel iMac G4 700 mhz, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 1:22 PM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2009 1:26 PM in response to Bart De Mylle

Bart De Mylle wrote:
.. how can I have exact control over a fade out, like the drawing method in 05?

no, not like the rubberband in iMHD≤6 ..

you have the Inspector with its sliders for in and out..
if you lay a second source over a clip ( a video insert, a voice-over, a sound effect), the Inspector offers ducking of other audio..
if you like to lower the audio in the middle of the clip, create by splitting the clip into three parts, an individual clip you can manipulate..

or, Share to Mediabrowser and open project in Garageband (as from Apple intended)
there you have layers and a timeline and rubberbands and audio effects and .. 😉

Aug 16, 2009 1:06 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I'm using only 1 source and want to accurately edit the audio at some split points in the movie.
The solution of using the sliders is so amateurish, as editing to a "split second" using faders and without seeing the waveforms is impossible. Maybe Apple wants me to buy Final Cut Express, but I don't have the money to do so.
About sharing to mediabrowser: I understand the way it operates and Garagabeband offers the "rubberband" way. It is however so tedious as you cannot finetune audiolevels on the fly and immediately get back to the project in iMovie: first you have to publish the movie from within Garageband and then import it in iMovie. Imagine what happens when you want to do some extra changes afterwards. Not a very creative and intuitive way of working, rather very timeconsuming.
Or am I missing something here?

So, I'm sad to say, iMovie 09 disappoints me strongly on this point. Should I consider installing iMovie 05 again?

Aug 16, 2009 1:34 AM in response to Bart De Mylle

Bart De Mylle wrote:
.. iMovie 09 disappoints me strongly on this point. Should I consider installing iMovie 05 again?

we read such complains here for about 2y, since iMovie was axed and iMovie appears (=same name, different apps ...).. you're coming late! LOL

iMHD6 was the best, imho, just because of the 'two projects simultanously' plus 'copy/paste between projects' ..

what makes me wonder: How did you manage to install and run iM09 on a G4............? 😉

Aug 16, 2009 8:27 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I guess I too am coming late to this issue. I just upgraded to new iMac and naturally a newer version of iMovie came with it. My old iMac burned and crashed so it just sits on my floor and with it the older iMovie version which I had over the years learned to produce some nice projects. Since I can't retrieve the old version is there a way I can obtain and install one in my new computer. It seems , if what you say Karsten is correct Apple has no intention of changing iMovie09. Now I will stop banging my head trying to correct this "problem"

Aug 16, 2009 10:50 AM in response to teethgator

teethgator wrote:
.. is there a way I can obtain and install one in my new computer. It seems , if what you say Karsten is correct Apple has no intention of changing iMovie09. Now I will stop banging my head trying to correct this "problem"

stop hurting yourself, son.. 😉

on eBay, iLife5/6 installer disks are an option..-

Apple changing iM09? no, why should they?
Apple, I learned over the last 20 years, NEVER looks back.. an 'iMovieDV-edition' for 9.99 would be nice.. but that will never happen.

iM09 is an ultra-fast, easy to use editor for MODERN camcorder formats; there is a problem with handling any i-formats.. but modern flatscreens and the web doesn't know anymore interlace (that invention is 60y old..70?); there is a prob handling ultra-sharp 60p (modern flatscreens show 200p); can AIC/QT/a Mac handle streams beyond 25Mbit/sec.. ? .. automatic-storage and -indexing, .. SciFi.. 😉

I guess, Apple invest in these issues.. Daddy-does-movies doesn't need a timeline, he 'flies by VFR' ..- not an abstract timeline..

drawing audio fade out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.