Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use vst plugins in Logic pro 8?

I have a macbook pro and just got Logic Pro 8. It's very nice and easy to use.
I have one problem, I have a bunch of VST instruments from my old windows setup. I want to be able to use them in Logic. All of the VSTs I have are Universal Binary, but are dlls. I put them in the Library/audio/plugins/vst folder but they were not picked up. I then decided to use the FXpansion VST to AU converter and it did not allow conversion of the dll vst plugins into AUs.

I noticed that the trial version of AutoTune installed the vst plugin right into the same folder as I had put my DLLs and it worked fine, but it ended in .vst instead of .dll.

Why wont my vst plugins work if they are Universal Binary?

How can I get my VST plugins from windows to work on my Logic Pro setup?
I don't want to have to buy them all again! Especially for just a stupid format change!

Any info helpful, Thanks!

Message was edited by: hotwheelharry

Posted on Aug 15, 2009 6:32 AM

2 replies

Aug 15, 2009 6:42 AM in response to hotwheelharry

Hi,

I believe that .dll file are for Windows PC only? The VST's I have end in .vst.

Logic only accepts audio units. Yes, you can use FXpansion to convert VSt to AU, but the VST's need to be in Mac format - not Windows PC. This is not only a format change but an OS change.

Contact the manufacturers of the plugins. You may find they allow you to have the Mac versions as well. In fact check on your installation discs and install them from CD/DVD directly.

JG

How to use vst plugins in Logic pro 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.