Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scaling .PNGs

I'm trying to scale down a variety of .PNG images. Scaling down Portable Network Graphics files works but most of my images are in Adobe Photoshop PNG files which does not scale using the Automator>Scale Files function.

Not sure what the difference would be and why one form of PNG works but the ones touched up in Photoshop don't.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jean

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 11:03 AM

1 reply

Aug 16, 2009 1:15 PM in response to jytessier

My guess would be they aren't really PNG files. According to the Finder's Info window, do they have the PNG extension and said to be a PNG file?

Merely changing the extension on a file does not suddenly make it a different type, it just gives it the wrong extension. Perhaps that is what happened and they aren't really PNG files?

Or did you save them yourself? If so, you might try different settings for saving the PNG files. PNG are lossless so it shouldn't hurt the quality. If that works out, then you'll have discovered the difference.

If nothing else, open them in Preview and check the information in its Info window. Consider saving copies from Preview as a PNG by using the *Save As…* option and see if those copies work.

Scaling .PNGs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.