Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

INSTRUCTIONS: The iPhone-iCal-gCal Sync Setup

DISCLAIMER: This following method is what I used on my personal computer and found to be successful. I take no responsibility for anything bad that happens to your system. Always backup your data before doing anything. For disclosure purposes, I use a MacBook Pro - OS X 10.5.8 - with an iPhone 3G - OS 3.0.

iCal should be used only for permanent dates in conjunction with Address Book--birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, or any event that occurs every year on the same date. For this, it will ultimately serve as your read-only Master Calendar, where all your calendars are merged alongside your entries made in either your iPhone or Google Calendar (gCal for short). The complete sync layout looks like this - *iPhone <=> gCal -> iCal* - with gCal acting as a channel to wirelessly sync your iPhone entries to your iCal entries.

*iPhone and gCal* have 2-way sync capabilities with each other. An update made on one will be made on the other

iCal has only 1-way sync capabilities. Updates made in iCal will not be made in your iPhone nor your gCal

*Before we move on...* backup your data if you haven't already done so. A good program that I, personally, use in addition to Time Machine is "SuperDuper!" - http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html - a hard disk clone and recovery application. It has saved my system every time I've needed it to and is *well worth the registration!*

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE THAT YOU BACKUP YOUR ADDRESS BOOK AND YOUR ICAL BEFORE READING ON.

+HOW TO SETUP 3-WAY SYNC+

*PART 1 - iPhone - SOURCE:* http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=151674

You're going to sync your iPhone's native calendar to your gCal - *iPhone <=> gCal*

REQUIREMENTS: Syncing via CalDAV is only available for devices with version 3.0 firmware or above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About > Version on your iPhone or iPod Touch device.

To upgrade, follow the instructions at http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

To sync with your device, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
2. Open *Mail, Contacts, Calendars* and select *Add Account...*
3. Select Other.
4. Select *Add CalDAV Account*.
5. Enter your account information:
- In the Server field, enter google.com
- In the Username field, enter your full Google Account email address.
- In the Password field, enter your Google Account password.
- In the Description field, enter the name you'd like to appear on the account.
- Select Next at the top of your screen.

After you've completed setup, open the iPhone calendar application and syncing will automatically begin.

*PART 2 - iCal*

IMPORTANT: You want *just the entries you made using only iCal*. Any subscriptions, or items that were not created using iCal need to be removed, and that includes your gCal account if you've previously synced it with iCal.

If you have a calendar that appears in your iCal but NOT in your gCal, you are going to export that.
- To export go to File > Export...
- Save it on your desktop and/or flash drive

Import your iCal entries into gCal
- Open your gCal
- Create a new calendar. This will be the one you save your exported iCal entries to.
- After you create the new calendar, in the *My Calendars* box, click Settings
- In the Settings Menu, click on the *Import Calendar* link
- Where it says Step 1, browse for and choose the .ics file the contains your exported iCal entries
- For Step 2, choose the new calendar that you created and Step 3 is import

From there....
- In the *My Calendars* box, click Settings
- Select the Calendars tab, and find your newly created calendar
- Click your new calendar to view its details
- In the Calendar Details menu, scroll to the bottom where it says *Private Address*
- Click on the ICAL button - a window will pop up with a url address - COPY THAT URL

+Now we take that address back to iCal+
- Open iCal
- In the menubar, click on Calendar and choose Subscribe
- Paste the url address you copied in gCal and click the Subscribe button
- Your new gCal calendar will then appear in iCal

*Part 3: Sync Your Main gCal with iCal - SOURCE:* http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=99358#ical

For this, you're going to sync iCal with gCal using CalDAV support.

To set up CalDAV support for Google Calendar in Apple's iCal, follow these steps:
1. Open Apple iCal, go to Preferences and then the Accounts tab.
2. Click on the + button to add an account.
3. Under *Account Information*, enter your Google Account username and password.
4. Under *Server Options*, add the following URL:
https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.COM/user

Replace 'youremail@domain.com' with your Google Account username.
5. Click Add and under the *Account Information* tab, set calendars to refresh every minute
6. In the Delegation tab, you will see all the calendars you have access to, or share through gCal.
7. *Select only those that *do not* already appear in your iCal side panel
* - That is what I did instead of what Google suggests

*PART 4 - iTunes Sync Settings*
1. Disable automatic syncing for devices
- Open iTunes preferences
- Click on Devices
- Check the box next to *Disable automatic syncing for iPhones and iPods*
2. Connect your iPhone
- When it appears in the side panel, choose it
- On that main screen, be sure to uncheck the *Automatically sync when connected option*
3. Click the Info tab
4. Scroll to the Calendars section
5. Check the *Sync iCal calendars* checkbox
6. Choose *Selected calendars* and then check ONLY the new calendar that you created in gCal which contains your previously exported iCal entries. *DO NOT* choose the one that has YOURUSERNAME@www.google.com next to it, for it is already synced to iCal
7. Click Apply and iTunes should begin the syncing process.

+To see if you've set everything up correctly...+
In your iPhone calendar app, you should see 3 options: *All Calendars*, *On My iPhone*, and (CalDAV)
- Select *All Calendars* (if you don't see any duplicate entries, that's a good sign).
- Open iCal to the current date
- On your iPhone, create an entry and save it.

If you see that same entry appear in iCal, then you're all set to go!

MBP17" 2.4GHz Parallels 4 w/ Win7 - iMac 20" 2.66GHz iLife '09 -, Mac OS X (10.5.8), - iPhone3G 8GB - 5th Gen 30GB iPod Video

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 12:28 AM

There are no replies.

INSTRUCTIONS: The iPhone-iCal-gCal Sync Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.