Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which cables will I need?

Hi,

I'm on the way to buy an Apogee Ensemble and a pair of Yamaha HS80 studio monitors,
so I'll have to connect the followings:

- Apple iMac
- Apogee Ensemble
- Yamaha HS80
[and, at a latest date, an M-Audio midi controller]

My question is: *which cables I'll have to buy* to make the rig work?
I'm a newbie in this field, so please be gentle... 🙂

THX!

Windows XP

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 1:10 AM

11 replies

Aug 17, 2009 3:38 AM in response to Respiro

To connect the Ensemble to the iMac you need:
...if your iMac was made in 2009: an 800 to 400 FireWire cable.
...if your iMac was made before 2009: a 400 to 400 FireWire cable.

To connect the Ensemble to the HS-80 monitors: two 1/4 inch Jack male/male cables. Go for high end quality cables.

To connect the MIDIcontroller to the iMac:
standard ("printer") USB cable.

regards, Erik.

Aug 18, 2009 5:08 PM in response to AecDuck

I was sure. Then I looked at the image I used to answer the question again, only this time not just the thumbnail but the full pic, and clearly saw the XLR input that I somehow missed first time. So the better choice here is 1/4" Jack to XLR(male).
!http://images.gittigidiyor.com/805/YAMAHA-HS80-STUDYO-MONITORU-KARGO-DAHIL _80551350.jpg!
btw thanks Aec, for correcting me. 🙂

regards, Erik.

Aug 19, 2009 3:08 PM in response to Mike Connelly

If memory serves (and sometimes it certainly doesn't!) I don't believe the 1/4" ins on the Yamahas are balanced, hence the inclusion of both the XLR and 1/4" ins, and the reason I bought the slightly more expensive 1/4" to XLR cables.

Great monitors by the way. Flat response and very accurate, not bass-heavy like most of the other monitors in the same price range.

Which cables will I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.