Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roland XV-2020 with GarageBand

Hi,

I recently acquired a Roland XV-2020 that I'm using with a Morrison Digital Trumpet. Is there a way to use the XV-2020 instead of the built-in sounds in GB (or are they from Quicktime?). When I go to record, I've been creating a basic track, and then using the MDT/XV-2020 to record with. The resulting sounds are derived from GB, not the XV-2020. When I purchased the XV-2020 from Patchman Music, I bought an additional soundbank. Needless to say, I'd rather use the soundbank over the Gb/Quicktime sounds.

Does anyone know if this can be accomplished using GB or must I use something along the lines of Logic?

Thanks,

Rocky

Posted on Aug 8, 2005 11:10 PM

8 replies

Aug 9, 2005 9:32 AM in response to HangTime

I replied directly to the (subscription) email and it never posted. So I'm doing it the old-fashioned way.

==========

Hi,

I'm not using a keyboard but am using a Morrison Digital Trumpet. The output of the trumpet is routed through what appears to be a proprietary 4-pin micro connector on the instrument. The other end of the cable is fitted with a standard 4-pin connector with a locking collar. The output goes to a box which consists of a power supply and signal converter. The box supplies power to the instrument and takes the output side of the cable from the MDT and routes the signal through the box and outputs the MIDI signal through a standard MIDI connector.

So I cannot take a standard audio output from the instrument (or at least I cannot determine the method to take the output signal from the instrument and convert it to an audio out). I'm hoping that you (or someone on the Apple discussion group) can devise a way to use the Roland XV-2020 instruments.

Thanks,

Rocky

Aug 9, 2005 9:55 AM in response to Rocky Pope

A couple of things.

GB's instruments are not the same as Quicktime Music Synthesizer.

Garageband does not at this time support midi out..therefore it cannot drive your synth using midi.
However the XV-2020 does have a headphone out for analog audio output.
So you can control the synth with your wind controller and output from the headphone jack into an audio interface and record as a real instrument in GB as HT suggested.

Or if you like you can try the freeware app midiO which is supposed to allow you to drive a midi device in GB...

http://home.comcast.net/~retroware/

Aug 9, 2005 10:45 AM in response to MacKarma

How silly of me to forget the Roland has two outputs, two phone jacks and two RCA jacks (three if you include the headphone out). Additionally, Griffin sells the GarageBand Guitar Cable, which will give me a phone jack out (mono).

I will likely look to convert whatever output I decide to use into XLR, so I can plug into a mixer that I have. I was trying to do things as simply as possible, so I wouldn't have to break out the mixer. But in any event, I'll get the desired result.

Thanks,

Rocky

Aug 9, 2005 2:02 PM in response to Rocky Pope

yeah just run the sequencer and play your instruments real time into the audio interfase or mixer into the tracks
into GB2...
I think of doing this alot going out and buying the best sound module but then GB is so easy to use sounds pretty good and
all your stuff is gonna be real time not midi so corrections of errors will be hard once recorded.

Aug 9, 2005 3:21 PM in response to Rocky Pope

I feel your pain
ive sold rolands ensoniqs korgs just to have
one solo software that i thought would suffice and do everything... GB has lots of good stuff. and you can combine instruments with midi.. add lots of effects.
im not in agony that i got rid of the Korg Karma and other stuff. There is so much to handle and do and you dont end up making music. thats the beauty if GB
just make sure ya got the goods, like a G5 2.7 GHZ loaded with 2 GB RAM

Roland XV-2020 with GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.