Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Aperture GPS Lat Long Format is Different than Nikon GP-1 for Geotagging

3662 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2009 1:32 PM by dsgahathjsfhDSRgsfsag RSS
dsgahathjsfhDSRgsfsag Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 17, 2009 2:10 PM
Does anyone know if you can change the Aperture format for latitude and longitude? Most people (and devices) use degrees, minutes, and tenths of minutes ... Aperture uses the more arcane (and visually way less intuitive) format of degree, minutes, seconds, and tenths of seconds. I've got my Nikon, mapping, and electronic charting software all using the former but Aperture is converting and showing the latter. I've looked in the manual (grin!) and the preferences but nothing. Any suggestions? Thanx, Mark
Many, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (39,370 points)
    Hi dsgahathjsfhDSRgsfsag;

Here is the GPS data from a shot I took yesterday with my Nikon D300 and GP-1 as seen in Aperture.

39º 38' 5.513" N
    105º 19' 56.027" W

Allan
    tiger
    MacBook Pro, PowerMac G5 Quad. iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 7800 GT, 6.5 GB RAM, 440 GB, Nikon N80, D70 and D300 Nikon Coolscan 5000ED
  • Steve Hoge Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    The EXIF spec allows for either representation. (Display formatting of geo coordinates using fractional seconds is the default for the exiftool that is used by most geotagging software, but it can also display fractional minutes as an alternative.)

What part of your workflow breaks when it sees a representation in fractional seconds?
    2.6GHZ 5GB 8-core MacPro 660GB RAID0 reflashed PC RadeonX1900 1TB Timemachine, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Aperture 2.1.4
    Welcome back to the thread!

So is there something in your workflow that breaks when this extra precision is present?

Or are you simply looking for consistency of representation in the user interface?
    2.6GHZ 5GB 8-core MacPro 660GB RAID0 reflashed PC RadeonX1900 1TB Timemachine, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Aperture 2.1.4
    The first thing to find out is where that extra (superfluous) precision is being generated.

In your Nikon camera?

From a mapping application like Google or a Google-map enabled plugin like Maperture?

Or somewhere else in your workflow?

Determining the source of that info would then determine how to build a workflow that truncates the info to the acceptable precision.

Aperture won't allow you to directly manipulate the master file's EXIF lat/long metadata with an Applescript, but you could certainly build an Applescript that calls the open-source utility exiftool to modify the lat/long coordinates of a selected group of Aperture's image files (shelling out to exiftool is the technique used by Maperture to embed GPS data.)

-Steve
    http://web.mac.com/steve_hoge
    dsgahathjsfhDSRgsfsag wrote:
    My question is simple ... does Apple/Aperture have a way to change latitude and longitude format?

Sorry, I get it now: you're interested simply in changing the display format in Aperture, not modifying the actual lat/long precision or internal representation. So a quick (qualified) answer to your question would be "no".

That said, new methods could be written for displaying latitude and longitude and patched into the formatterClass fields of the Latitude and Longitude properties in the file:
    Aperture.app/Contents/Resources/FactoryProperties.plist.

Maybe some Objective-C programmers out there might have some insight into how to accomplish this.

-Steve
    2.6GHZ 5GB 8-core MacPro 660GB RAID0 reflashed PC RadeonX1900 1TB Timemachine, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Aperture 2.1.4
    Seems odd that Apple would not make this simple "math conversion" and "format choice" available in preferences.

I'd think that these days, when not so many people are actually using lat/long values to read physical maps, GPS data is mostly considered machine-readable data and not primarily for human visual consumption. For instance, Google Maps use internal lat/long representations like "lng =-105.270352" which seems even less human-friendly.

As far as human-readable representations, Google Earth displays coordinates like "105°16'48.47"W"; some would consider Google to be the 800-lb gorilla of GIS at this point.

I'm new here; do you know if Apple people ever read these threads? And if so, respond?

They seem to be lurking out there, but almost never post as official representatives (with some exceptions apparently for marketing people; Joe Schorr, the Aperture product manager, used to post alot in the Aperture forum but hasn't been heard from directly for quite a while...)

-Steve
    2.6GHZ 5GB 8-core MacPro 660GB RAID0 reflashed PC RadeonX1900 1TB Timemachine, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Aperture 2.1.4
    Apple is also missing the point that different countries prefer different localization of this position data ... similar to date/time stamping, etc.

I just looked to see if changes in System Preferences->Language & Text regionalization might have any effect on Lat/Long display, but switching to a few different regions (UK, India, Singapore) didn't produce any change in Aperture's lat/long display formats.

Placing GPS formatting in that system preference panel would probably be "the right way" to do it, just as is done for currency and date formatting; then the RKGpsLatitudeFormatter and RKGpsLongitudeFormatter methods could be modified to become location-aware. Are there established regional variations??

I would have thought mariners would be hold-outs for the historical *degrees/minutes/fractional seconds* representation. So the marine standard these days is *degrees/fractional minutes* ?

-Steve

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.