Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Thinks IMAP Account is Gmail

It is a Gmail account, but that's not the point.

My main email account is a gmail account set up in Mail as an IMAP account. That's because I use a mail forwarder with it. Everything works fine. If I tell iTunes to sync this account's settings on the iPhone, the iPhone brings it in as a gmail account, and not a generic IMAP. This is bad because outgoing mail will go out from the iPhone with a @gmail address.

So far the work around is to not sync it, and set it up as an IMAP account on the device. This isn't elegant, though because all of my other accounts are set to sync, and now I need to set up an exception. Any way I can force the account to be an IMAP account on the device?

Santa Rosa MacBook, Harpertown Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 8:33 AM

4 replies

Aug 23, 2009 5:25 PM in response to Shu Chow

Yeah, you can force it do something different by doing manual setup instead of letting it sync the settings. That's what manual setup is for. You don't have to tell the phone it's a gmail account, either, you can choose Other while setting it up.

But I wonder if you understand sync. All the "sync mail" feature does is sync the Settings, not the mail itself in any way. So once each account is set up on your phone, you should be able to turn off the sync mail section entirely and it won't make a difference (unless you are regularly changing your account settings in the computer Mail application). So I don't understand what you mean about "setting up an exception". There is no ongoing exception.

However, sounds like your real issue is:
This is bad because outgoing mail will go out from the iPhone with a @gmail address.

Might want to google on that question, because I'm not sure setting it up as a generic IMAP account will really let you change the sending address anyhow.

Sep 14, 2009 2:27 PM in response to Daiya

{quote:title=Daiya wrote:}But I wonder if you understand sync. All the "sync mail" feature does is sync the Settings, not the mail itself in any way. *So once each account is set up on your phone*{quote}

Yes, I understand sync, and the sync is the problem. The account is not being set up correctly. In Mail, it's an IMAP account. The iPhone ignores this and makes it a Gmail account.

{quote}because I'm not sure setting it up as a generic IMAP account will really let you change the sending address anyhow.{quote}

It does. Look in the iPhone's IMAP account settings. The Address and User Name are seperated out.

I haven't tried to see if this has been fixed in 3.1 since nuking and setting up the accounts is a hassle.

Sep 20, 2009 10:27 PM in response to Shu Chow

Yes, I understand sync, and the sync is the problem. The account is not being set up correctly. In Mail, it's an IMAP account. The iPhone ignores this and makes it a Gmail account.

Okay, you understand sync. So set it up once and you are all fine, and done. It takes about as much time to post here as to set it up manually.

iPhone Thinks IMAP Account is Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.