Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Envelope Index is corrupted, can't re-import

My Mail Envelope Index got corrupted yesterday morning. Each time I try to re-import the mailboxes, the computer hangs during the process. This time, I did a safe boot, and tried re-importing that way, hoping that my chances of completion were higher. The machine hung anyway.

Disk Warrior did not find anything wrong with my directories. I will repair permissions, but I can't think of any other stratagems for fixing the Envelope Index. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nicky

quicksilver twin 1.25 ghz; PowerBook titanium; Cube, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 11:39 AM

8 replies

Aug 28, 2009 6:15 AM in response to Nicky McCatty

Nicky,

I only was asking if those started in an older version of OSX were on any Mac that was upgraded to 10.4 or 10.5, or the Mail folder was migrated to a new Mac with the new OSX?

Quit Mail, and in the Finder open Home/Library/Mail. Make a Duplicate of the Mail folder, and drag the resulting copy to the Desktop another location for temporary backup.

Open the older POP account's folders, and then open the INBOX.mbox folder to start with. Remove all files except the Info.plist file and the Messages folder (with its message content). Any other files are leftovers from earlier versions of Mail, and while not actually used, can be problematic to proper indexing. Do the same for the Sent Messages.mbox folder, and either delete the Junk.mbox and Drafts.mbox or clean them up similarly. The Deleted Messages.mbox can be dealt with either to delete the folder, or similar cleanup.

Do this for each POP folder, although those less than a year old will likely not have any leftover files.

Next, in the Mail folder, open the Mailboxes folder. There open each xxxx.mbox folder and look for the same leftover files to remove.

Finally, again remove the Envelope Index and then relaunch Mail again. It should announce it is ready to Import your mailboxes -- allow this to continue, and it will reindex every mailbox.

For my authority that these are no longer needed, leftover files see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23076

When the new form of mailboxes came into use, conversions of older mailboxes was often incomplete. There is a whole list of comparisons, and things to do to have a more complete conversion, but since you have been using the new versions of Mail for quite some time, I assume you are not needing to try to find any messages that failed to be converted from when you used 10.2 or 10.3, so I have not gone into that. However, the duplicate copy I had you make could be used for that, later.

Ernie

Envelope Index is corrupted, can't re-import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.