Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Websense Blocking iTunes U

Hi everyone,
Hope some one can help. Our school district blockes all streaming audio and video with Websense 6.3.3 I manage the system and need to keep streaming audio and video blocked but need to open up the iTunes U. Does anyone know what ports TCP/UDP the iTunes U application uses. and if anyone has experience with this type of issue. I have tried to open just the iTunes and Apple websites but the application is still getting blocked.
Thank you all for your help.

PC, Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2009 2:05 PM

At minimum, these two domains need to be exempted from any Internet filtering:

phobos.apple.com
phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net

Note that, unless there's a differentiation I've not heard about, there's no way to unblock iTunes U while disallowing connection to the normal iTunes Store. To the best of my knowledge it all uses the same domains and protocols. You can, however, block access to the iTunes Store while still allowing access to iTunes U via the Parental Controls within iTunes.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions about iTunes U, there's a forum area specifically for that:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=211

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2009 2:05 PM in response to Catlynn Teardrop

At minimum, these two domains need to be exempted from any Internet filtering:

phobos.apple.com
phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net

Note that, unless there's a differentiation I've not heard about, there's no way to unblock iTunes U while disallowing connection to the normal iTunes Store. To the best of my knowledge it all uses the same domains and protocols. You can, however, block access to the iTunes Store while still allowing access to iTunes U via the Parental Controls within iTunes.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions about iTunes U, there's a forum area specifically for that:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=211

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Websense Blocking iTunes U

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.