Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dolby 5.0 versus 5.1

I'm making a DVD for a client – designed to deliver dolby 5 surround sound. The musician created a dolby 5.0 mix – specifically cutting out the bass track (.1) because he didn't want the rumble of the bass. He sent me a dolby 5.0 wav file. When I build the file DVDSPro says it encodes the tracks.

My Q is does DVDSPro pass along the 5 tracks or does it create a bass track? In compressosr I only have an preset option to create dolby 5.1. Does it make any difference that the composer took out the bass track? That is will i play back wihtout the subsonic bass track or do 5.1 systems create a bass track from the lows in the ohter tracks regardless? Surround sound is new to me as a maker.

-Bill

MacBookPro/MacPro Studio 2 / DVD SP 4

NacBook Pro 2.4 / G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Kona

Posted on Aug 21, 2009 1:00 PM

6 replies

Aug 22, 2009 10:11 AM in response to Coruway

Bill,

Most of the Dolby presets in Compressor have a check mark field to 'enable the low frequency effects'. Leave that box unchecked, setting up 3/2 for the 'audio coding mode' with 448kbs as the data rate. I posted up the other necessary Dolby settings on this board a few weeks ago.

And, just so you know, the '.1' LFE channel is not the 'bass track', you will/should/better have *plenty of bass present in all the channels*. So, as long as your music guy got the files he sent identified correctly and he mixed with surround monitoring, you'll be good. In fact, it's mostly Hollywood Films with big, sudden dynamic shifts, i.e., explosions, reentering the atmosphere, disgruntled dinosaurs, etc., that benefit the movie experience by transferring some of the very low portion of the bass onto the subwoofer. But for sure, your subwoofer will still be active in 5.0 mixes, as it is in 2.0 stereo mixes; and your 5.0 mix will no doubt contain the entire dynamic range of your concert and will be heard by viewers with good sound systems - the stereo downmix on lessor setups won't sound too shabby either, is my guess (though, you've tested this, right?).

The DVD-Video Specification books (of which I'm in possession) are very clear that there are many flavors of Dolby Surround supported; 5.0 is supported, and DVD SP will dutifully mux a 5 channel stream - instead of 6 channels for 5.1. Hint: Compressor will only list DVD Video compliant Dolby channel configurations in the pop down menu, when 'DVD-Video' is chosen as the 'target system'; and you'll see there's a lot of choices available.

Sounds like you've got a good DVD production going over there.

For further reading:

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/zz-Shared_Assets/English_PDFs/Professional/38LFE.pdf

http://remlabs2.rice.edu/webfiles/Rm%20Main%20Documentation/SURROUND%20INFO/5.1_ mixing.pdf

Take care,

Trai

--
New Constellation Technologies / TFDVD Research Labs

Aug 23, 2009 5:09 AM in response to Trai_Forrester

Many thanks, Trai. I appreciate the detailed response and other readings. After your message I looked at your prior post with settings.

As I'm looking for best way through this I created a copy of the DVD proj and used the wav files the composer gave me and used tohse as the DVD audio tracks and compare to the compressor created 5.1. Will also look at crafting the encode as you suggest. I'd like to simply play each version for the composer and he could tell me if they are as intended, but I hear from my client that he is on the other side of the globe and rather hard to get in touch with. And even FedEx takes a few days. Which is why we need to make our best attempt to get it as he intended in his wav mix.

Aug 23, 2009 9:30 AM in response to Coruway

Hi Bill,

Sounds good. But I would drop the .1, and send him only the 5.0 mix, unless you are getting paid to provide a smorgasbord. And clearly, your musician already stated he didn't want the 'rumblings' of the LFE channel.

For sure, as authors, we are the "Keepers of the Specifications", sometimes having to steer our clients away from requests or procedures that would do them harm.

But all seems up to snuff here, you'll just need to do a standard proofing of the 5.0 mix on your 5.1 (or 7.1) surround setup; and then it's off to all points with the completed DVD, for approval.

Take care,

Trai

--
Trai Forrester
New Constellation Technologies / TFDVD Research Labs

dolby 5.0 versus 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.