Previous 1 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next 445 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2010 10:10 AM by gurton Go to original post
  • dufourmo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Everything is working well since the update!

    Now they just have to fix bluetooth and i'll be in business!
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Hmmm. You and a few people say face recognition is working. The rest of us see no improvement whatsoever with 8.1.1, even though we followed the post-install instructions. Is deleting the DB files mentioned above the secret?
  • belloq Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    Hmmm. You and a few people say face recognition is working. The rest of us see no improvement whatsoever with 8.1.1, even though we followed the post-install instructions. Is deleting the DB files mentioned above the secret?

    Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. Personally, I don't trust iPhoto, even 8.1.1. From a Faces-perspective, I think there was some kind of corruption introduced in the Faces DB files. In order to have a true look at how 8.1.1 performs, I chose to trash the DB files and the Metadata backup for Faces before proceeding with a full scan and restarting the tagging and recognition process. Otherwise, I just would not feel confident that I was really giving 8.1.1 a proper test and opportunity to "shine" for me.

    So far, I have not seen the spinning cursor for "... may also be in the photos below" for more than 6 seconds, and that brought up a few hundred matches for a particular person.
  • Nickho Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yes delete the db files for faces (two of them) and re-run
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    What exactly are the filenames and where exactly are they? I need a step by step for the delete and the rebuild -- i am a new mac user but technically capable of cleaning this up if I knew exactly what names and places to look for.

    Message was edited by: allan_vancouver

    Message was edited by: allan_vancouver
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    see my other post. I need a newbies step by step for every step you describe.
  • abeardneglected Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I ended up with 4 separate libraries when I was trying everything under the sun to get things working. After the update I've only tried the "cleanest" library so far -- scanned photos, no videos, relatively small library (5,000 photos). I had already labeled dozens of Faces, so I tried it without deleting the faces files and it seems to be working really well so far. Still a good number of mismatches, but no more crashing or endless spinning. So, there's at least one that works without deleting the files.

    With the other libraries, I haven't done much face tagging, so I've deleted the files and will let it rebuild overnight.
  • abeardneglected Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    What exactly are the filenames and where exactly are they? I need a step by step for the delete and the rebuild -- i am a new mac user but technically capable of cleaning this up if I knew exactly what names and places to look for.


    face_blob.db and face.db -- to see them, find your library under your "Pictures" folder and click on it while holding "control. One of the options will be "Show Package Contents" which will open up the contents and you'll see those files (among others).

    Message was edited by: abeardneglected
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    abeardneglected wrote:
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    What exactly are the filenames and where exactly are they? I need a step by step for the delete and the rebuild -- i am a new mac user but technically capable of cleaning this up if I knew exactly what names and places to look for.


    face_blob.db and face.db -- to see them, find your library under your "Pictures" folder and click on it while holding "control. One of the options will be "Show Package Contents" which will open up the contents and you'll see those files (among others).

    Message was edited by: abeardneglected


    I may have hidden my tracks. I have "import into iPhoto Library" checkbox not checked because I didn't want my large folder structure messed with or copied for no reason. So, I think iPhoto just creates metadata that points to all my folders and photos. I deleted a "Faces" folder in my Pictures folder, but I have never seen a library package or the db files you reference. iPhoto may be keeping them elsewhere. What is the normal name of the iPhoto library? I'll hunt around with finder in the meantime.

    But I'm rapidly losing patience with iPhoto and can't see the value for all the extra effort at troubleshooting, installing other tools like IPLM, etc. I am used to a perfectly running photo app on Windows called ACDSee that has never had problems with my large photo collection. There is a Mac Beta of the product I have just installed, and it works perfectly ... so iPhoto's life is at risk in my opinion, at least as far as my interest and usage is concerned. I'd rather pay money for a product that works instead of a free one that doesn't.

    And by keeping the original folder structure for my pictures, I'm assuming I will have no problems with iPod Touch sync, because it has been working fine under Windows Vista and Win7, and I will at some point migrate everything to the iMac
  • abeardneglected Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    I may have hidden my tracks. I have "import into iPhoto Library" checkbox not checked because I didn't want my large folder structure messed with or copied for no reason. So, I think iPhoto just creates metadata that points to all my folders and photos. I deleted a "Faces" folder in my Pictures folder, but I have never seen a library package or the db files you reference. iPhoto may be keeping them elsewhere. What is the normal name of the iPhoto library? I'll hunt around with finder in the meantime.


    I think my original library was just called "default". I'm new to Macs myself, so I'm not sure where the files would be in the "don't import into iPhoto Library" scenario.
  • belloq Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    I may have hidden my tracks. I have "import into iPhoto Library" checkbox not checked because I didn't want my large folder structure messed with or copied for no reason. So, I think iPhoto just creates metadata that points to all my folders and photos. I deleted a "Faces" folder in my Pictures folder, but I have never seen a library package or the db files you reference. iPhoto may be keeping them elsewhere. What is the normal name of the iPhoto library? I'll hunt around with finder in the meantime.

    By default, the file "iPhoto Library" is created in your Pictures folder. It should have prompted you the first time you ran iPhoto about where to create this file. If it is not in your Pictures folder, then do a Spotlight search (magnifying glass at the right of the menu bar) for that file name. Of course, if you named it something else, it will be harder to find.

    To search your local drives for any iPhoto Libraries:
    1. Open any Finder window
    2. Click in the search box at the top of that window
    3. Hit spacebar
    4. In the bar that appears below, click the + button
    5. Select "Kind" from the first drop-down
    6. Select "Other" from the 2nd drop-down
    7. Type "iphoto library" in the text box

    Any known iPhoto library type files should appear. If you show these files as a list, it will show you their modification dates. The most recently modified is likely your current library. If you single-click on any, the bottom of the window will show you where it is located.

    I hope this works and is helpful.
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    More newbie observations. Please be patient. When I search on "iPhoto" with "Finder", it shows a long list of 'event' and 'photo' metadata files, and when I ctrl-click and then "Get info", these appear to be in the Pictures\iPhoto Library\Metadata backup\etc etc folders,
    however,
    when I open "Pictures" with "Finder", the iPhoto library and its metadata metadata subfolders are not listed.

    Are they hidden, and if so, how do I view them?
  • belloq Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:
    Are they hidden, and if so, how do I view them?


    abeardneglected wrote:

    face_blob.db and face.db -- to see them, find your library under your "Pictures" folder and click on it while holding "control. One of the options will be "Show Package Contents" which will open up the contents and you'll see those files (among others).


    Message was edited by: belloq
  • allan_vancouver Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks belloq. I did point iPhoto to my Pictures folder when I first used it. I checked off the box to import to the library, but I haven't specified any other folders.

    Following your clear instructions, i can display all the .ipmeta files, and as with my previous "Finder" searches, there is no "iPhoto Library" folder or any folder of any kind in the list. It has just photo, event and album .ipmeta files. "Get Info" says these files are in folders that do not exist, or at least do not display.

    I think my lack of Mac skills may be annoying to this discussion, so I will drop out if I am bothering people. I don't want to do self training at others' expense ... but I am interested and curious why iPhoto is still broken for me or at least still incredibly slow. It's not what I expected a Mac and OS X experience to be like.
  • belloq Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    allan_vancouver wrote:

    Following your clear instructions, i can display all the .ipmeta files, and as with my previous "Finder" searches,

    If you are showing .ipmeta files, then you did not follow the instructions carefully enough. When you show Kind = iPhoto Library, then it will not show you the .ipmeta files. It will only show iPhoto Library files, if there are any to find on your drives which are indexed by Spotlight.

    I think my lack of Mac skills may be annoying to this discussion, so I will drop out if I am bothering people.

    If someone wants to complain, they can. Until they do...

    iPhoto is still broken for me or at least still incredibly slow. It's not what I expected a Mac and OS X experience to be like.

    No idea, but one guess is it might be related to the fact that you did not have iPhoto collect pictures into a single location. They are spread out, so searching them for faces means it is looking "all over the place" instead of organized inside a single library.