Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lots of white noise from an M-Audio MobilePre

I suppose I should have just returned it long ago, but the MobilePre interface that I use with GarageBand generates a lot of background white noise during recording. I've found lots of proposed fixes out there (changing latency back and forth, restarting GB, etc.) that have not helped me much, unfortunately. The unit itself seems to be inherently bad. I've got the newest driver installed, but the problem is still there. Sigh.

I have a Shure PG57 mic plugged into the MobilePre...this wouldn't be the problem, would it?

Posted on Oct 9, 2005 9:41 AM

7 replies

Oct 9, 2005 12:14 PM in response to Vincent Bove

Play with the gains. My general rule of thumb is to start with all on half way and play with it from there. Usually the main gain gives the most noise so if you are getting lots try turning the main gain down and the knobs on the unit up. Experiment until the noise is at a good level.

In the specs I saw this:
Master Output Volume Control: Software-controlled

This sounds like the main volume is controlled in the Audio/MIDI set up utility perhaps? Have you played with the main gain?

Kurt

Oct 9, 2005 1:04 PM in response to Oliver Arditi (Polyglot)

FWIW,
I had one channel unused on my Tascam US-122, and was using the other with a condenser mic with Phantom Power on, and I got a lot of white noise if the unused channel is turned up with nothing plugged in. Thinking it was defective, I got another US-122 and it does the same thing. So, now, when I use phantom power, I have to make sure the unused channel is turned down. Your problem "could" be a similar thing.

Oct 9, 2005 7:20 PM in response to Scott Laughlin-Richard

Thank you all for the prompt replies! I have played with the multitude of gains that I have. There is one on the unit itself, a software control panel gain, and then a few gains within GarageBand itself. I'm not sure which one of those would be considered the "main" gain, but I have been able to mostly reduce the fuzz. Unfortunately, this also makes for VERY quiet recording levels. A decent recording level always seems to come with significant buzz.

I've also turned down the unused channel. That only helped somewhat.

I'll probably have to learn to live with a slightly scratchy recording until I can afford to buy a better interface. Ho hum.

Lots of white noise from an M-Audio MobilePre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.