Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't load Webkinz site

I have been having trouble with Webkinz on my Mac. Safari hadn't been loading, and I thought it might either be my dial up connection or my version of Flash player. I updated Flash, now have DSL, but Safari still won't load the site. If I watch the status bar, it loads about 42 of 44 items, then stalls. Any ideas? Firefox works well, but I'd like to be able use Safari as well.

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Safari 4.0

Posted on Aug 23, 2009 10:05 AM

14 replies

Aug 23, 2009 10:27 AM in response to Alcorn

Greetings,

Are you still using Safari 4.0 as your profile states, or have you updated to 4.0.3?

As for your problem, try this:

1. Go to Home/Library/Cookies and delete the Cookies.plist file.
2. Go to Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
3. Go to Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Web Page Previews and delete the contents of that folder.
4. If you don't want to use the Top Sites feature, open Terminal and paste in this command:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSnapshotsUpdatePolicy -int 2

5. Go to Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
6. Go to Home/Library/Caches/Safari and delete the contents of that folder.
7. Go to Home/Library/Safari and delete these files (if you have them):

Downloads.plist
History.plist
Form Values
LastSession.plist
WebpageIcons.db

Then restart Safari and see if the problem continues.

Aug 25, 2009 12:08 PM in response to Golden Shoes

Thanks, Golden Shoes, but I still need more help.

I deleted all the files you suggested, but it made no impact. I also upgraded to Safari 4.0.3, and that did not make any difference either (now it loads 43 of 45 files before it stalls - before it loaded 42 of 44). It is puzzling because I know many people use Safari for this website - it is recommended by the site.

Any other ideas out there?

Aug 25, 2009 12:41 PM in response to Alcorn

Do you have anything in your Home/Library/InputManagers folder, as well as /Library/InputManagers and /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins (as long as it's related to something in one of the other two folders? If so, remove them and restart Safari to test it.

If you don't have any Input Managers, then I would try downloading Cocktail, launch it and choose Cocktail from the Window menu, then Pilot, then Tasks, and run the maintenance schedule. Then restart your Mac and test Safari.

If that doesn't work, you're probably going to need an Archive & Install with the Preserve Users and Network Settings option: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1545

Download the 10.4.11 Combo Update (Intel Only) or the 10.4.11 Combo Update (PPC only). Then Repair Disk Permissions, do the Archive & Install, reboot the Mac, install the 10.4.11 Combo Update for your system, then use Software Update for everything else since then. Finally, Repair Disk Permissions again, delete the Previous Systems folder, and restart the Mac to test Safari again.

Aug 25, 2009 12:59 PM in response to Golden Shoes

GS,

I don't have any of the folders you mentioned. The webkinz site is the only site that seems to be affected, and since Firefox works fine, I don't think I want to go through all the hassle of an archive and install. I was hoping for a simple setting or upgrade to perform. But I might try Cocktail. What exactly does it do? I believe I have already installed the 10.4.11 combo update. Is there a way to check that I have done it?

A

Aug 25, 2009 1:06 PM in response to Alcorn

If you have 10.4.11, you installed that update. The only reason you would need to download it is for the Archive & Install. Even if you have no problems loading that site in Firefox, that has no bearing on the issue, since this is a Safari issue, and you'd have to reinstall Safari 4.0.3 to try to resolve it.

But since you already have Safari 4.0.3, you can't do that without installing a previous version first, and the "best" way to do that is through an Archive & Install. There is another way, but it may not have any different an outcome than what you're currently experiencing; we won't know until you do one or the other.

Aug 25, 2009 1:28 PM in response to Golden Shoes

GS,

I think I'll put off the Archive and Install - it looks like too much reinstalling of software and updates for my tastes. The MB is two years old, and I'm always nervous to mess around when 98% of things are working. If it helps any, I installed Safari 4.0 just a few weeks ago, and it never worked with Webkinz, even when "new". It seems to work with every other site I have tried, though I mostly use Firefox.

Thanks for all your advice.

Oh, would Cocktail still be a good thing to use?

A

Aug 25, 2009 1:36 PM in response to Alcorn

You wouldn't necessarily have to do an Archive & Install; you can try the other option of just reinstalling a previous version of Safari, the updating to Safari 4.0.3 again. That may or may not work, but you won't know until you try it.

Yes, Cocktail is a useful maintenance utility, since a lot of automatic maintenance is scheduled for the wee hours of the morning, when most Macs are turned off.

Aug 25, 2009 1:54 PM in response to Alcorn

You need to delete Safari and the Safari4upd.pkg file in the /Library/Receipts folder. There are lots of hidden files, but if you were to delete those, other things would stop working entirely, and that wouldn't be fun.

Then launch the installer for the Safari 3 version you have, install it, restart your Mac (required by the installer), then Repair Disk Permissions, then use Software Update to get Safari 4.0.3, restart again (required), then test it again.

Safari won't load Webkinz site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.