You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to 3.0 Killed iPod touch

Hello,

Just upgraded 2 gen iPod touch to 3.0 and the install errored."an unknown error".

No my iPod will not turn and when connected to a PC I get the error message "USB device not recognised".

I have searched the Internet and done several attempts at restoring using the home and sleep key. Also checked the lead and tried it on 2 different PCs.

Any help appreciated.

Eddie

Windows Vista

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 2:21 AM

8 replies

Aug 24, 2009 4:07 AM in response to EddieCoe

the same thing just happened to me. I just got the touch today, wanted to listen to it on the way to college (which is in less than 3 hours) and decided to upgrade to 3.0. Then after a little while, without the connection being interrupted or anything like that, i got "error ***, unknown error" and now the touch has the "connect to itunes" icon, and is not even recognized by my computer. all that comes up is the "connecting new hardware" and asks for drivers. I went through that and tried the iBoot driver, and it still isnt working. any suggestions? also tried the manual reboot with the windows and hold buttons. I also reinstalled itunes multiple times, along with restarting the system. I also searched online for the correct driver and manually installed it, and that didnt work either.

Aug 24, 2009 6:31 AM in response to EddieCoe

Eddie & MaqMaq,

Similar problems, similar fixes.

First off, make sure that Apple Mobile Device Services is up and running properly. See this article for details on how to do that: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567

Once you have that sorted out, most issues with the 3.0 update on Windows machines is caused by anti-virus and/or firewall software. Both of these should be disabled when downloading and installing iPod OS upgrades.

Aug 24, 2009 7:39 AM in response to luvlabs

Thank you. I have already tried that. I went through the procedure again just to make sure I wasn't being stupid. My iPod is completely dead (and it cost me 5.99 for the privilege). On a Vista PC and a XP machine it is not recognized as a device. No combination of buttons will produce any reaction from the iPod.

Is there some way of restarting it or reinstating the firmware that may have been destroyed by the upgrade.

Thanks

Eddie

Aug 24, 2009 10:12 AM in response to EddieCoe

I got the same problem. Finally gave in and paid £5.99 for the priviledge, but every time I try to install the software my iPod is killed.

The only way I can get it back at all is to open Windows with a new account, then plug the iPod in. iTunes starts up and recognises my Touch as a brand new device. I then have to go through the same steps as when I first took the Touch out of the box. Once that is complete I can then go back to my usual Windows account, plug the iPod in and restore it (luckily I had synched and backed it up before trying to install OS 3.0).

Still unable to actually load the new OS though - a trip to my nearest (which is over 20 miles away!) Apple Store methinks.

Sep 9, 2009 10:33 AM in response to darbydog123

Sad to see I am not the only one having this problem. Got my 2nd generationiPod 32GB las week and on day 2 decided to install V3.0 as some applications require it and it is supposed to bring me all these extra features.
The result: iPod completely locked up. I only get the iTunes connection screen but my PC does not see the iPod.
I will have to try to use the trick with the other account to see if that allows me to recover the old OS.
Really bad to see so many people with the same problem and no useful information coming from Apple itself.
Apple can expect a request to give me my money back for V3.0.!!

Upgrade to 3.0 Killed iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.