Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message "Could not save because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

Running Mac OS9.2.2 Suddenly start to get and error message " An error occured saving the enclosure "file name" Not enough memory" when trying to save an attachment in Microsoft Outlook. Same thing with Adobe Photoshop - when trying to save an any new file - message "Could not save because there is not enough memory (RAM)".

Already Tried:
During several freezes, suddenly my mac stop recognize any extensions. When used Microsoft Outlook and tried download an attachment got an error message type 3. So I create a new set in extensions manager and get ride of Type 3 error, but get a new error message "Not enough memory" when try to save an attachment, or "Not enough RAM" - when try to save an EPS file in Adobe Photoshop.
In Outlook ("Get Info" section)changed memory size:
Suggested Size: 7168 K
Minimum Size: 16000 K
Preferred Size: 16000 K
In all mailboxes - there are not that many messages and they are not heavy at all, I checked them all before. And I rebuilt/compressed Outlook database - holding Option while restarted Outlook...
Adobe Photoshop - started acting weird at same time. Even if I want to open a file through the menu: File - Open - it gives me the same message.
Who has any clue - please help!!!

Mac G4, Mac OS 9.2.x, Built-In Memory 384 MB

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 2:22 PM

10 replies

Aug 25, 2009 8:06 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hey Tom,
Thanks for a response. I have been receiving the same messages over and over with Virtual Memory On and Off. In Outlook Express I have Preferred memory about 16000K and couldn't same a single text attachment - 4K in size. That's ridicules.
No programs are open - only System (about 40MB) and Outlook. Biggest Unusable Block is about 300 MB (with Virtual memory off).
Mike

Aug 25, 2009 9:34 PM in response to michael_lyudin

Hi, Mike -

I have Outlook Express's Preferred memory allocation set to 45000K, and don't have any problems with attachments. Don't be afraid of increasing OE's Preferred memory allocation (nor IE's, either - I have that set to 65000K).

How large is the Messages file used by the account you're using in Outlook? You can examine that file here - (hard drive) >> Documents >> Microsoft User Data >> Identities >> (account folder, either the default "Main Identity" or one you've created) >> Messages.

It seems that the Messages file grows with each email received; but does not shrink when an email is deleted. Over time, especially when lots of attachments are involved, that file can get huge.

One way to help it not get too big is to -

• delete attachments after copying them to the desktop. In case you're not familiar with the easy way to copy an attachment to the desktop - select the email so it opens; click the small triangle next to the legend "Attachments" between the upper pane and the lower pane in Outlook's main window; drag the attachment from the list out onto the desktop. It will be extracted and copied to that location. Once that has been done you can delete the attachment from the email with which it arrived.

• after purging your emails of unneeded emails and attachments, compact the file. To do that, quit Outlook if it is running. Then hold down the Option key and start up Outlook. A splash screen will appear asking if you want to compact its database files - click yes. Follow the prompts.

Compacting OE's database can also fix some instances of a damaged database that can't be used.

If you could answer a few more questins, perhaps we can offer additional suggestions -

1) How much RAM do you have installed? That means the physical RAM, not counting Virtual Memory in use, if any.

2) How full is your hard drive - how big is it, how much free space is left unused?

3) When was the last time you rebuilt the desktop file?

Aug 26, 2009 7:39 AM in response to Don Archibald

Hey Don,
Thanks for your reply.
HDD size - 160GB (146GB - free - do all work on a network drive)
Physical RAM Built-In - 384MB (yeah, I know it's not a lot, but this is work machine, and it was working fine for years - did not install anything new...)
Rebuilding desktop does not work, because when restarting machine holding OPT+CMD buttons - the network login comes first, so I have to login with user name and password, so rebuild process never come to the execution stage.
About Mail Identities - I deleted old database and old (compressed files - about 900MB) and increased Preferred memory to 50000K - same result - same message "Not enough memory".
Just going crazy - cannot figure out what else possibly could be done?
Mike

Aug 26, 2009 11:01 AM in response to michael_lyudin

"I have been receiving the same messages over and over with Virtual Memory On and Off."
What is your VM setting when on?

Try rebuilding your destop using Techtool Lite. This is more effective than the apple-option key combination because it deletes the desktop files and rebuilds them from scratch rather than rebuilding them incrementally.

Plus side: You avoid all the finger gymnatics.

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2009 10:25 PM in response to michael_lyudin

Hi, Mike -

You can download TechTool Light for free from the link that Baby Boomer provided.

There is an alternate method which should allow you to rebuild the desktop without the connect-to-server request interceding.

To do that, restart - immediately hold down the Shift key until you get the "Extensions Off" message; then release Shift and hold down the Command and Option keys until you get the splash screen asking if you want to rebuild the desktop; click okay. Once that's done, restart to turn your extensions back on.

You said that you do all your work on a network server. Is it possible that its hard drive, or the portion of it allocated for you to use, has got too full (less than 15% free space can cause problems)? Or possibly has other problems?

Have you tried saving files to your own hard drive rather than to the network server?

Aug 28, 2009 10:16 AM in response to Don Archibald

Thanks Don,
Yeah, that's what I meant... I save all my work (Photoshop, QuarkXpress, Word, etc,)on a network drive, but download let say an attachment on a local HDD.
And what is interesting - in Quark I could easily save any size file on a local HDD without any problems.
Will come back to work Monday and will try to rebuild my desktop.
Do you think I should work on my PRAM to?
Thanks
Mike

Aug 28, 2009 8:35 PM in response to michael_lyudin

Hi, Mike -

Resetting PRAM won't hurt, but may do little to alleviate the issue. PRAM settings are mainly used during the boot process; with that in mind, resetting PRAM after making changes to the machine's hardware (new hard drive, new RAM, etc.) is a good thing to do - but PRAM settings rarely affect haw the machine behaves after the OS has fully loaded.

One aspect of resettiing PRAM can be a bit unsettling at first - since resetting PRAM returns all of its settings to default, some things may not appear to behave the way they should at first. This can include monitor settings, network settings, and (occasionally) date/time settings. Doing a couple of normal shutdowns and restarts after resetting PRAM usually gets most things back to normal.

Message "Could not save because there is not enough memory (RAM)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.