Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activating iphone 3G without a sim card

My brother has an iphone that came without a sim card (he won it the lucky bugger). Unfortunately he entered a password and forgot it, and so it has become locked. The only solution I could see was to restore it using iTunes. I've done this but now iTunes says it "cannot activate your iphone because the sim card is not inserted or a sim pin is required". What sim card? No sim card has been used with this phone yet. The iphone says "no sim card installed -- insert a valid sim with no pin lock to active iphone". Would temporarily inserting a sim card allow us to activate it? I cant see why we should have to activate it.

Jeff.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 5:44 PM

6 replies

Aug 25, 2009 6:33 PM in response to Jeffrey Young

None of the iPhone functions work until the iPhone is activated - in the U.S. anyway.

After an iPhone is deactivated after being activated, in order to install a firmware update or restore an iPhone with iTunes if wanted or needed, the no longer activated SIM card must be inserted in the iPhone in order to complete the process - the SIM card that was used with the iPhone when the iPhone was activated.

Aug 25, 2009 6:48 PM in response to Jeffrey Young

I don't see why not, but which carrier do you plan on activating the iPhone with?

Do you know if this iPhone was originally sold as carrier locked with one of the carriers for the iPhone in Australia and if so, do you know which one?

Or was the iPhone originally sold as officially unlocked by one of the carriers for the iPhone in Australia?

Activating iphone 3G without a sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.