Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kensington keyboard

hi. i needed a cheap replacement keyboard and settled for the kensington comfort type usb one. it works fine but it has the layout of a pc. the scroll lock and pause keys control the contrast. my question is there are a few less keys than the apple keyboards so is there a way to control the volume with this keyboard? thanks!

imac intel 17" 1.5g old version, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 8:12 PM

2 replies

Aug 25, 2009 9:45 PM in response to lynn117

No, I don't think so. The recent Apple keyboards have special functional keys. You can set them to control those functions, or act as regular F-keys. A non-Apple keyboard would act like the Apple keyboard set to use F-keys. You can use the F-keys to control some functions; screen brightness decrease/increase is F14/F15. But not sound volume. You can see all the available F-key functions in System Preferences +Keyboard & Mouse+ pane +Keyboard Shortcuts+ tab.

However, I did discover something recently. You can +put focus+ on the +status menus+ in the menu bar by pressing Control-F8 on the keyboard. This selects the leftmost Apple-supplied status menu in the menu bar (status menus are the little icons lined up along the right side of the menu bar). So if you move the +sound volume+ status menu to be the leftmost status menu, Control-F8, will highlight it. Then, you can press the up and down arrows to control the sound volume, and Return when done.

That's the best I can offer for controlling sound just from a regular keyboard.

Note: You can move your status menu icons on the menu bar by pressing the Command key and then dragging the status menu icon.

Aug 26, 2009 8:40 AM in response to lynn117

You can use a key mapping utility such as the freeware Spark to map the volume controls to function keys or other keyboard shortcuts. I've been using Spark for this sort of purpose for a long time and it works quite well. If you try it and need help creating your shortcuts, post back.

If you download Spark and like it, please consider donating to the developer to encourage further development.

Disclaimer: any product suggestion and link given is strictly for reference and represents my opinion only. No warranties express or implied. I get no personal benefit from the sale of any product I may recommend in any of my posts in the Discussions. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. You must be this tall to ride. Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear. Preservatives added to improve freshness. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

kensington keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.