Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Trackpad & Keyboard dying and electricity issues?

1368 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2009 11:08 PM by iMaddin RSS
iMaddin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 26, 2009 12:53 AM
Hello!
I am using a 15" MacBook Pro Early 2008 2.4ghz and I am experiencing very frustrating issues.
I was just browsing the web and suddenly the keyboard and trackpad died. I was not able to turn on the backlit lights nor was I able to see the green lightning circle when activation caps lock. Only the power button worked…
So I restarted and almost everything seems to be fine..almost: my trackpad won't recognize any 3 and 4 finger swipes. I already tried reenabling it in System Preferences but still no luck. It will probably work again when I restart the computer again but it still is a problem.

Also, I noticed that my MacBook Pro is giving me electric shocks while resting my hand on it! It sometimes also happens when I just type something.
This is really worrying me and it really hurts. It started happening when I went to an Asian country. Never happened before when I was in Europe. I hope it will stop when I am back but you never know..

Oh and before I forget. It happened before that when I touched the trackpad, it instantly gave me a shock and the keyboard and trackpad were dead...
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), early 2008
  • DaddyPaycheck Level 6 Level 6 (16,035 points)
    Aug 26, 2009 2:53 AM (in response to iMaddin)
    This is probably all related. You are experiencing a potentially life threatening problem with the grounding and or earth-neutral bond in the facility where you are using the Mac.

Are you using a grounded outlet with a grounded cord?
    A collection of clinking, clanking, clattering caliginous junk., Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, PDP11
  • Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (29,585 points)
    Aug 26, 2009 9:30 AM (in response to iMaddin)
    Carefully inspect your battery. Sometimes trackpad and keyboard problems can be caused by a defective battery that is swollen or otherwise deformed. The deformation puts upward pressure on the underside of the trackpad and takes it down; the keyboard can go with it..
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25G SP;, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ; MacBookPro Late2007 2.2G 15" (10.5.7); PowerBook G4 1Ghz 17" (10.4.11)
  • Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (29,585 points)
    Aug 26, 2009 11:26 AM (in response to iMaddin)
    401 cycles is remarkable. However, as long as the battery is not deformed and the health is over ~70 percent and you get modest charge life from it, there is no reason to rush for a new battery. You can use the iStatPro Dashboard widget to monitor battery health:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

or the utility Coconut Battery:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25G SP;, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ; MacBookPro Late2007 2.2G 15" (10.5.7); PowerBook G4 1Ghz 17" (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.