Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad & Keyboard dying and electricity issues?

Hello!
I am using a 15" MacBook Pro Early 2008 2.4ghz and I am experiencing very frustrating issues.
I was just browsing the web and suddenly the keyboard and trackpad died. I was not able to turn on the backlit lights nor was I able to see the green lightning circle when activation caps lock. Only the power button worked…
So I restarted and almost everything seems to be fine..almost: my trackpad won't recognize any 3 and 4 finger swipes. I already tried reenabling it in System Preferences but still no luck. It will probably work again when I restart the computer again but it still is a problem.

Also, I noticed that my MacBook Pro is giving me electric shocks while resting my hand on it! It sometimes also happens when I just type something.
This is really worrying me and it really hurts. It started happening when I went to an Asian country. Never happened before when I was in Europe. I hope it will stop when I am back but you never know..

Oh and before I forget. It happened before that when I touched the trackpad, it instantly gave me a shock and the keyboard and trackpad were dead...

MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.8), early 2008

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 2:53 AM

This is probably all related. You are experiencing a potentially life threatening problem with the grounding and or earth-neutral bond in the facility where you are using the Mac.

Are you using a grounded outlet with a grounded cord?
7 replies

Aug 26, 2009 5:44 AM in response to DaddyPaycheck

sry I don't understand what you mean with "grounded outlet with a grounded cord". Do you mean those outlets people use in the US?

But thanks for making me think about the outlet and the extension cable. Didn't look very safe. I had 3 things plugged in at the same time in one outlet. The outlets alone don't look very safe by themselves.

Now I have only 2 things plugged in so I hope it will reduce the risk of harming anyone (especially me). So do you think those problems only occur in the country/place where I am staying at (Vietnam)? That my Mac is giving me electric shock has only happened here in Vietnam.
But 'touching the trackpad and get a shock + keyboard and trackpad die'-thing has happened to me in Europe.
Maybe its worth mentioning that I bought my Mac in the US. So in Europe they use different outlets. And in Vietnam they are almost the same as in the US. But I can plug them in though without using any adapters.

Aug 26, 2009 11:26 AM in response to iMaddin

401 cycles is remarkable. However, as long as the battery is not deformed and the health is over ~70 percent and you get modest charge life from it, there is no reason to rush for a new battery. You can use the iStatPro Dashboard widget to monitor battery health:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

or the utility Coconut Battery:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Trackpad & Keyboard dying and electricity issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.