You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

My Mac mini started playing up a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was the attached firewire drives, but it looks like a problem on the hard disk. I've been trying to fix this and I need help!

- I tried to restore leopard - only to find my leopard install disc is corrupt. I tried to make a copy with toast, but that failed, a couple of times

- So I've tried to use disk utility. I try to repair the volume. It gets to 'Checking Catalog file'. Then it gives the messages:

Invalid Key length
Volume check failed
Eror: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

- Then, booting from another leopard disk (for another machine, so I can't install from it), I've been running fsck. It says it can't the superblock, when I make suggestions I get the above message 'Bad super block': magic number wrong'. Any idea where there might be another valid copy of the superblock?

So, I'm a bit stuck. It's really annoying that the leopard disk that I bought doesn't copy and doesn't install.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

iMac + 17" Macbook Pro + 13" Macbook + 32Gb iPhone 3GS + Space Capsule + Mac min, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 1:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 5:54 AM

How to Make a Non-Commercial DVD copy of MAC OS X Leopard

Making a DVD Image

Step1. Insert the retail Mac OS X Install DVD into your drive.

Step 2. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 3. In Disk Utility, you will notice a white pane on the left hand side. In the pane, select the Mac OS X Install DVD by clicking on it once.

Step 4. Click New Image on the Disk Utility toolbar.

Step 5. A dialog box will appear. Give the new image a name. I used 'Mac OS X Install DVD'. Select the destination where you wish to save it. Leave Image Format at Compressed (default) and Encryption at None (default).

Step 6. Click Save to begin creating the image.

Step 7. Once your image has been created DO NOT mount it. Leave the image alone and proceed to the next section.

Burning the Image

Step 1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 2. Click Burn on the Disk Utility toolbar (upper left).

Step 3. Navigate to where you saved the DVD image created in the previous section. Click on the image file, then click the Burn button. Do not drag and drop the image file into Disk Utility during this step.

Step4. Insert a DVD when prompted and proceed to Burn it. (use good quality media)
Using these exact steps I was successfully able to create a personal backup copy of Mac OS X Leopard. I hope this tutorial helps.
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2009 5:54 AM in response to Fustbariclation

How to Make a Non-Commercial DVD copy of MAC OS X Leopard

Making a DVD Image

Step1. Insert the retail Mac OS X Install DVD into your drive.

Step 2. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 3. In Disk Utility, you will notice a white pane on the left hand side. In the pane, select the Mac OS X Install DVD by clicking on it once.

Step 4. Click New Image on the Disk Utility toolbar.

Step 5. A dialog box will appear. Give the new image a name. I used 'Mac OS X Install DVD'. Select the destination where you wish to save it. Leave Image Format at Compressed (default) and Encryption at None (default).

Step 6. Click Save to begin creating the image.

Step 7. Once your image has been created DO NOT mount it. Leave the image alone and proceed to the next section.

Burning the Image

Step 1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 2. Click Burn on the Disk Utility toolbar (upper left).

Step 3. Navigate to where you saved the DVD image created in the previous section. Click on the image file, then click the Burn button. Do not drag and drop the image file into Disk Utility during this step.

Step4. Insert a DVD when prompted and proceed to Burn it. (use good quality media)
Using these exact steps I was successfully able to create a personal backup copy of Mac OS X Leopard. I hope this tutorial helps.

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.