Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote desktop administrator software failed to start

I just upgraded to the new ARD client and now I cannot start Remote Desktop Administrator. It says "The Remote Desktop Administrator software failed to start due to an unexpected error. The remote desktop software may not be installed correctly or the computer may require a restart."

Again, this happened after I install the ARD client update just released by Apple on my MBP 10.5.8.

I need to get ARD Administrator back up and running. How?

MBP Core duo, Mac OS X (10.4.9), B&W G4, iMac FP, and a few others

Posted on Aug 26, 2009 9:34 AM

14 replies

Aug 26, 2009 12:41 PM in response to B Man

I too have been having this issue for sometime. The only work around I have found that works is creating a new user account, and reinstalling under that user.
I have tried all documented ways of uninstalling ARD, but I continue to get the same error under my normal user login. Any "HELP" from Apple would be appreciated. I have sent no less than 15 dignostic logs after the program is not responding to finder.
This should be an easy fix!!!! We just need to know how to uninstall properly, come on Apple 😟

Aug 27, 2009 3:44 AM in response to B Man

This is the most feedback I've ever gotten to any post.

After much trial and error here is the solution I came up with:

1. follow the instructions in the following link. Most importantly, make sure you follow the instructions on removing the 10.2 clients. I know that's not what we're dealing with here but it is necessary:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2577?viewlocale=en_US

2. Put the remote desktop Admin app in the trash and empty the trash.

3. Download and install the ARD 3.2.2 client via the following link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/appleremotedeskt op322client.html

4. Reinstall the remote desktop administrative software in the Applications directory. (Actually, what I did was zip the ARD admin app, then trashed the non-zipped app and emptied the trash, then unzipped my zipped ARD Admin app and made sure the app was in the Applications directory. Didn't need to mess with the CD this way.)

5. Download and install the ARD Admin 3.3 update. It should now recognize that ARD Admin is installed on the computer and update it.

6. Try to launch the Admin app. It should work now.

I believe these are all the steps. After this I ran software update and it said I had no software to update. It looks as though the ARD Admin updater also updates the client software.

Aug 27, 2009 8:02 AM in response to B Man

I followed your post again this morning, still get finder not responding, and spinning beach ball. Have to force quit which creates a dump that I submit to Apple each time it happens. I wonder if they actually ever look at those....?

Seems related to my user perms at this point. Again I can run App as another user, it's just a pain to switch users all the time.

Thanks for any future advice!

Sep 4, 2009 7:33 PM in response to B Man

Same problem.

Repairing permissions did not work.

Doing what Sleestak outlined worked like a charm.

I was hoping to save my client database info, so I backed up that folder and restored it after the fresh install. That didn't work. I had to scan for all my clients again.

Also, the tip about zipping the app saved the trouble of finding the original disk and going through that rigamarol. It worked like a charm, just the way he said - assuming Sleestak is a "he."

Great job - thanks.

m

Remote desktop administrator software failed to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.