You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Template for CD Labels

Anyone know of any Pages templates for Memorex CD Labels?

I'm frustrated because I bought them on the advice of the Staples store manager who said they would have a basic template that would work in a word processing program ... and didn't learn till opening the box that I had to download a non functional exe file.

imacbook core duos, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 5:44 AM

10 replies

Aug 27, 2009 10:50 AM in response to Lisa Jacobs

Lisa

Yvan is right. I don't have a copy of that product but they usually come with a sheet printed with the layout.

No need to look helplessly at what is a very low skill task.

Get out a ruler and quickly reconstruct it in a blank Pages Layout template. They are usually just rectangles and circles. Make them slightly oversize centred on where they print to allow for discrepancies in the printer.

A tip for alignment of the final template. Set the outlines of the circles and boxes to a thin black line, print to a plain sheet of paper and sandwich the result with a Memorex label sheet against a brightly lit window to check for alignment.

When you have finished and checked that it works, leave a clearly labeled copy at:

http://www.iworkcommunity.com

Peter

Aug 27, 2009 1:09 PM in response to Lisa Jacobs

Since Windows users are often relatively unknowledgeable about their computers, many companies archive files as a self extracting zip file so the Windows user doesn't have to know how to unzip. So when I see an .exe file and I'm not expecting to find a program, I'll try unzipping it on my Mac. I'm betting your .exe file will unzip and provide the Word template you need.

However, unless your printer is one of the models that can print directly onto a disc and unless your CD or DVD is a printable disc for that printer, I'm going to yell out "Warning Will Robinson!" Paper labels and the slot loading drives that come with our iMacs and Mac notebooks don't get along. About once a week a customer comes into our shop with a computer that has had a paper label induced failure. The labels can shred while the disc is spinning, they can peel off and stay inside the drive while the disc pops out, and they can result in discs sticking in the drive. Those who say, "That's never happened to me." Need to add, 'yet' to the end of their sentence. Replacing a SuperDrive is not inexpensive.

Aug 27, 2009 2:31 PM in response to dwb

dwb wrote:
However, unless your printer is one of the models that can print directly onto a disc and unless your CD or DVD is a printable disc for that printer, I'm going to yell out "Warning Will Robinson!" Paper labels and the slot loading drives that come with our iMacs and Mac notebooks don't get along. About once a week a customer comes into our shop with a computer that has had a paper label induced failure. The labels can shred while the disc is spinning, they can peel off and stay inside the drive while the disc pops out, and they can result in discs sticking in the drive. Those who say, "That's never happened to me." Need to add, 'yet' to the end of their sentence. Replacing a SuperDrive is not inexpensive.

Good point I encountered that yonks ago because I used to apply designed labels to all my CD archives, then I got a slot loading Indigo iMac. Oh boy, someone hadn't thought this through.

The same with mini CD/DVDs in slot loaders, especially the side on vertical ones.

P.

Aug 27, 2009 10:00 PM in response to fruhulda

fruhulda

Definitely write only on the CD/DVD, but I long ago gave up on putting information on sleeves or cases. They too quickly and easily get separated.

I also pretty much gave up on labelling per se. It works out better to have a cataloguing system like DiskCatalogMaker that comes with Toast.

Use a numbering system, that way you know if something is missing in the sequence and store them in those large sleeved binders for CD/DVD collections. I add a prefix for whether it is artwork, photos, audio etc to break up the collection.

I buy cheap binders that hold 102 discs each and have 100 discs in each one so that I can readily find the numbers by the 001-100 on each spine. The spare 2 slots I use for rewriteable disks that hold the disk catalogues and pdfs of content plus a text print out of the list.

Believe me this system has evolved from several broken and expensive predecessors! 🙂

Peter

btw I can not wait for the cheap, durable high capacity disks that are just over the horizon. Since we moved to such high capacity drives, keeping everything safely backed up has become a tedious headache. Time Machine is not a solution IMHO, it is still a problem because it is a Hard Drive and connected to your Mac.

Aug 28, 2009 3:31 AM in response to fruhulda

I was given a package of plastic half-height CD cases and I just stick my discs in those and make an insert. If the disc is important I might get fancy but typically I'll just write on the sticky side of a post-it and put it in the CD case along with the disc. For the most part my disc burning is relegated to short term needs - the few exceptions being my archive discs and emergency boot discs. Thanks to a combination of cheap hard drives and the emergence of low cost cloud storage I don't burn nearly as many discs as I once did.

Template for CD Labels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.