Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install without Disks

Hello

I have a 13" macbook (intel) and I want to install lepoard (probably snow leopard) but I have a problem. The cd/dvd drive is broken and will not work.

I really dont want to purchase a new one as I only ever use cd/dvd drives these days when I change OS whether it be Mac or PC.

Is there an upgrade option that I can use to install leopard if I purchase a licence etc.

Help!!!!

Unknown, Other OS, Running Vista Ultimate

Posted on Aug 27, 2009 10:11 AM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2009 10:18 AM in response to Silentbob1978

If you mean a downloadable version of the full installer for either Leopard or Snow Leopard, no, there is not and will never be one available since the Mac OS X installer must be able to boot from the disk to install.

You have some options:

1) If you have an external hard drive and a friend with a Mac, buy the retail Leopard or Snow Leopard disk, connect your hard drive to your friend's Mac and use Disk Utility to restore the Leopard/Snow Leopard disk to the external hard drive. You can then boot your MacBook from the external drive and install that way.

2) If your MacBook has Firewire, you can put it into Target Disk Mode and connect it to another Mac from which you can install Leopard/Snow Leopard on the MacBook. I don't recommend this method since it's not always reliable (the installer will attempt to install drivers based on the hardware in the Mac you're using and so you may not get the correct drivers for the MacBook), but people have found that it works for them.

3) Buy an external USB DVD drive. Many people have had success booting the Mac OS X installer DVD in external drives.

Install without Disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.