Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard exchange set up for Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts

Has anyone successfully set up Snow Leopard Exchange 2007 interaction between iCal/AddressBook/Mail and Google Mail (Gmail)/Calendar/Contacts. It works well between the iPhone and Google through the m.google.com server, but I can't seem to figure out what exchange server to use between Snow Leopard and Google.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 28, 2009 3:23 PM

10 replies

Aug 28, 2009 3:46 PM in response to DanFriedlander

Odd.

I don't even know what that is.

What I can guarantee you is that the Exchange setup on Snow Leopard is not the way to interact with Google for contacts, etc.

For contacts, go to preferences/accounts in Address Book, and click "synchronize with Google" and fill out the info.

In iCal, go to preferences, add an account, select Google, and follow the prompts.

No exchange.

Aug 28, 2009 8:07 PM in response to William Lloyd

William Lloyd wrote:
?

Google doesn't use an Exchange server. Period.

True, HOWEVER they are using the Microsoft ActiveSync protocol to share access to things such as the Calendar application. This is the best way to connect to the calendar via the iPhone. This requires the use of Google Sync service. Works great on the iPhone, hoping I can get it to work on Snow Leopard.

Alex

Aug 31, 2009 12:11 PM in response to DanFriedlander

Okay, I have an iPod touch and (only recently) I was able to use the new Exchange option on the iPod touch to setup a Google Apps account. I'm unclear on why the iPod calls this Exchange but Exchange on the Mac relates only to the MS Exchange protocol. I assumed that now I would be able to sync both my iPod AND my Mac to Google with no third party apps and relatively hassle-free setup.
Having tested the suggestion of enabling Google syncing in iCal and Address Book, iCal seems to work but Address Book does not - iCal synced as soon as I entered my Google username and password, Address Book is still just sitting there. Anyone able to get this all to work as expected?

Sep 1, 2009 2:11 AM in response to emperorspeed

I setup my iPhone 3G (using Google's instructions) to sync my contacts and calendar with Google Contacts and Google Calendar using Microsoft Exchange, and it works semlessly. I just turned on the syncing with Google Contacts on Address Book for both computers, but in both cases they just sat there and didn't sync. But it worked after I restarted the computer, presenting me with a ton of conflicts to be resolved, otherwise, you just have to give it time, though it ***** you can't manually tell it to sync. As for iCal, I've been using Google's Calaborator software that installs right into iCal and it's very responsive at syncing my different calendars, so I figure if it isn't broken don't try to fix it, lol. Well, at least until they add a way for you to manually sync. Just make sure you backup your contacts first, and have everything in order on either the Address Book side or the Google side, so that way you can just breeze right through all the initial sync conflicts that are bound to arise.

Sep 8, 2009 2:55 AM in response to DanFriedlander

Google use ONLY the ActiveSync protocol for syncing email, contacts, and calendar items with 'ActiveSync/DirectPush' compatible devices.

On Mac OS X 10.6 a mixture of both the ActiveSync protocol and Exchange Web Services is used to add all the zillions of features that the Mac has and iPhone doesnt for Exchange.

Google don't implement EWS (it is huge: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa566050.aspx) and so you should stick to the Google provided sync methods built in to Mac OS X.

Snow Leopard exchange set up for Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.