Previous 1 2 3 Next 319 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2012 4:08 PM by yaroose
GFNG Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have a late 2008 Unibody 13" Macbook 2ghz w/ 2GB of memory. I took a screen shot of the Activity Monitor before installing the update and I had 1.4GB of free memory and now I have only 769MB free. Is it just me or that is what the new OS use in memory. Virtually is sucking up all the memory that I have.

Any suggestions? or is everyone experiencing an significant increase of memory usage?.

Thanks.

MacBook Unibody 5,1, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Snow Leopard Memory Hog usage
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,645 points)
    No, I'm not. In many cases I'm seeing the opposite.

What is taking up all this space? Any applications hogging a bunch? Do you have Safari running with 14 tabs each having a bunch of flash videos on them?
  • kisuke3 Level 3 Level 3 (910 points)
    what applications are you running at that time?
  • Susan M Level 2 Level 2 (320 points)
    Was this right after the Install? If so, Spotlight might have been Indexing, which seems to use a lot of System resources.
  • GFNG Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Spotlight (MSD) already indexed. Currently the services or apps that take the most are the following:

APP/Serv Real Memory Virtual Memory

Kernel_task 48MB 87MB
    WindowsServer 43MB 49MB
    Finder 37MB 37MB
    Dock 35MB 29MB
    DashboardClient 167MB 28MB
    MSD 137MB 29MB
    Quicklook Helper 57MB 22MB
    Logitec Control Center (mouse) 5MB 178MB.

That is what I have.
    What is MSD?
  • kisuke3 Level 3 Level 3 (910 points)
    it shouldn't be a resource hog since its using a grand central dispatch plus its a 64 bit kernel. Try booting into safe mode to force it do some maintenance then observer activity monitor from there. If nothing is suspicious then it could be login items or startup items that could be causing this.
  • nnickn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Yeah I have the same issue. On leopard I had about 500mb free out of the 1gb I have but now when I turn it on I only have about 300mb free.
    I read that was spotlight.
    Ah, spotlight is mds (lower case).
    I went into safe mode. Forced maintenance and no luck. Kernel is taking 147.9MB of real memory 40MB for windowsserver. between finder, systemuiserver and dock are taking 90MB.

Quick look helper is taking 548.8MB of Virtual memory, logitec control center 178.1MB and MSD 139.8MB of virtual memory.
    William Lloyd wrote:
    Ah, spotlight is mds (lower case).

ohh yeah. My bad. Is mds.
    Virtual memory is not a problem. Real memory is the only thing you need to concern yourself with.

Kernel task takes more RAM in Snow Leopard that Leopard in my experience. But, frankly, if you are not seeing huge numbers of page-outs, I wouldn't really focus much on this.
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)
    GFNG wrote:
    I have a late 2008 Unibody 13" Macbook 2ghz w/ 2GB of memory. I took a screen shot of the Activity Monitor before installing the update and I had 1.4GB of free memory and now I have only 769MB free.

How much Inactive memory is there? The only meaningful measure is the total of Free and Inactive.

When a running process releases memory, OSX removes it from Active, of course, but marks it Inactive and doesn't clear it, so it's faster to reassign if the same process needs it again. It only goes back to Free when the process that had it ends.

When a process requests new memory, OSX takes it from Free first; only if there isn't enough there will it take it from Inactive.
    Then system services are the ones taking all the real memory. I have removed login items to see what happens.
Previous 1 2 3 Next