Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard Woes

Ok here is what I am getting after a successful installation.
iTunes crashes every time I plug in my iPhone.
When I put my mouse to the upper right of my screen by the clock,wifi icon, spotlight, etc. I get the spinning pinwheel. When I take the mouse away from the area it goes back to a cursor.
I decided to look in console. I see this (Over and over again):

8/29/09 2:27:32 AM SyncServer[462] [69209c0] |Server|Error| fatal error during sync server initialization: can't upgrade data directory from version 76 to version 85 (/Users/WillGonz/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local)
8/29/09 2:27:32 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[197] (com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer[462]) Exited with exit code: 1
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM DashboardClient[405] [6b0bd20] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM com.apple.Dock.agent[201] 2009-08-29 02:27:33.088 DashboardClient[405:a03] [6b0bd20] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[197] (com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM iSync[305] [6b208a0] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM DashboardClient[402] [6b0bd20] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM com.apple.Dock.agent[201] 2009-08-29 02:27:33.711 DashboardClient[402:a03] [6b0bd20] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:33 AM SystemUIServer[202] [6b20b00] |Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply
8/29/09 2:27:43 AM upgradedb[465] [681f860] |Upgradedb|Error| Can't upgrade SyncServices data schema in directory /Users/WillGonz/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local from version 76 to version 85: can't initialize the data directory for user: WillGonz path: /Users/WillGonz/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/Compat error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x1068308c0 "“Compat” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Local”."
8/29/09 2:27:43 AM com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer[464] 2009-08-29 02:27:43.376 upgradedb[465:903] [681f860] |Upgradedb|Error| Can't upgrade SyncServices data schema in directory /Users/WillGonz/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local from version 76 to version 85: can't initialize the data directory for user: WillGonz path: /Users/WillGonz/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/Compat error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x1068308c0 "“Compat” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Local”."

Please help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Mac Mini, Macbook

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 2:29 AM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2009 2:43 AM in response to WillGonz

I have exactly the same issues. Someone said in another post if you reinstall itunes it fixes the that problem. Not sure yet about the beach ball when the cursor is in the toolbar.

I also had Airport problems where it wouldn't turn on. Some tried deleting the default Location and adding it back which sort of fixed it.

I've gone back to 10.5 for now until I have more time to try again. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Aug 29, 2009 3:23 AM in response to WillGonz

Your post doesn't say what machine you are trying to install Snow Leopard on. Snow Leopard will run on Intel Macs only and not PowerPC Macs.

I've installed Snow Leopard on a MacBook Air (Rev A), 2008 Mac Pro, 2009 Mac Pro (which I sync my iPods to), a 1.83GHz C2D Mac Mini (2007 model which acts as a server for my Apple TVs) and a late 2008 MacBook Pro (which I sync my iPhone to) without any issues. Installation was a breeze on each machine. All are working normally (actually, they're all faster than when running 10.5 Leopard).

Were you running the most up to date version of iTunes?

If you're back on 10.5, run and install all software updates. Once completed open Disk Utility and repair disk permissions and then try installing Snow Leopard again.

Aug 29, 2009 10:17 AM in response to WillGonz

Ok I fixed mine. I was concerned with the messages in console that kept coming up so I looked into the SyncServer problem. Turns out all I had to do was delete

*~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local*

and it is all working no beach ball on the upper right of the screen. And now iTunes doesn't freeze or anything.

*I did not delete the above folder.* I logged into another account on my computer. Then I copied the folder to another spot on the hard drive. Then I deleted it. Also when I went back to that folder today it was an icon and I have to right click it and Open Containing folder to view the contents. Previously it was a folder. I did try to do a chmod on it to give the world access but I still got the permission errors. I think the root of the problem is Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 UserInfo=0x1068308c0 "“Compat” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Local”." But all is well now and I have to admit it was easier then past upgrades from a different software company.

Sep 7, 2009 3:56 PM in response to WillGonz

I had a similar problem with a process called "Mingler" that was using most of my CPU. This problem started after I installed the new Snow Leopard OS. The synchronization of my contacts in my iphone 3GS was also affected and never progressed requiring me to stop the synchronization.

Apparently this "Mingler" process is linked to SyncServer. Following some suggestions in this group, I deleted the SyncServer folder and restarted my MacBook. The Mingler process disappeared and it seems that all my memory problems resolved. Thanks for your help.

Sep 9, 2009 7:33 PM in response to WillGonz

Update: The Mingler process is back taking over most of the RAM in MacBook. Removing the SyncServer folder did not help. This process comes along with SyncServer and it seems that it appears when I open Entourage. I am seriously considering removing Snow Leopard. I didn't have any issues before the update. Any suggestions are welcome.

Nov 15, 2009 11:58 AM in response to WillGonz

I had this same problem with my iPod touch: every time I connected it to iTunes, iTunes hung and spit out "Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply" errors to the console.

Removing ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local fixed the problem immediately. Thanks, WillGonz.

Snow Leopard Woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.